Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaking window?

JustinMcAbbe
Cultivating a Following

How to fix a leaking window?

Hello

Please can you advise the best way and product to use to fix a leaking window;

What is the best way to water proof and seal the area?

Is it possible to buy a flashing to nail above this, what would be the product to use?

JustinMcAbbe_0-1671584988915.png

JustinMcAbbe_1-1671585018694.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a leaking window?

Hi @JustinMcAbbe

I suggest using Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant under the apron to prevent water from entering that section. To cover up the other gaps, I suggest having a look at Consolidated Alloys 100mm x 10m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape. Just keep in mind that the surface has to be thoroughly cleaned before applying this seal.

Another product you can use is James Hardie 75 x 75mm Colorbond Corner Flashing. This will need to be cut and fitted into position. I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the galvanised angled flashing options that you can install around your window.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JustinMcAbbe
Cultivating a Following

just did a temporary fix until we get proper roof repaid, I could do it properly my self, but the cost of buying all the equipment and making mistakes is not worth it, ITs not hard.

This is enough withstand another big storm, just need a bit more tape, the window is pretty much sealed. 322676566_2441756392644917_3827057438469290654_n.jpg

btw, how do you remove old sealant ? I need to remove all the old repairs and redo them all. 

Hi @JustinMcAbbe,

Thank you for asking how to remove the old sealant from your window. @EricL is away until next week but our wonderful Workshop DIY expert @MitchellMc will be online on Friday to assist you. In the meantime, let me tag community members @JoeAzza and @prettyliving to see if they have any suggestions. 

Katie

Hi @JustinMcAbbe,

Old sealant can be cut out with a Stanley knife or silicone remover. Any residual silicone sealant can be dissolved with a chemical silicone remover and wiped away. If the sealant is polyurethane and not silicone, you'll need to cut it out as the chemical product might prove ineffective.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects