Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a hole on a hollow door?

diy_dude
Just Starting Out

How to fix a hole on a hollow door?

Hi all,

One of our doors has a hole like this:

20230226_162922.jpg

What do you recommend is the best way to fix this?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a hole on a hollow door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @diy_dude. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a door.

You might like to have a read of this discussion: How to fill holes and gouge in my door by @vica. Our helpful members offer some excellent advice to @newfast on repairing their damaged door. Though their damage is more extensive than yours, and it appears you'd get away with just filling the area.

How solid is the damaged area? You could either try to fill over the area with Builder's Bog or remove the broken sections of door skin and fill over the internal cardboard honeycomb. I prefer to dig out the fractured sections of door skin and then fill the area. The reason for removing the door skin pieces is that it will then give you some defined edges to bog up to and then sand back flush with.

Once you've filled the area with bog and then sanded it back so it is flush with the surrounding surface, you'll need to prime and paint the door. You'll achieve a far better result if you paint the whole door instead of trying to paint the patched area. Remember your PPE when using the bog and sanding, including gloves, a face mask and safety glasses.

If you haven't used bog before or are not confident in the repair, given the price of a new door (likely close to the cost of the materials to repair this one), you might like to consider replacing the door. You'll see the internal doors are quite budget-friendly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc 

yes, I was thinking of replacing it with a new door, but it is kind of hard to find a door with the exact size.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @diy_dude 

If you wish to order a custom sized door, I suggest measuring your current doors length, width and height. I then recommend going to your store and proceeding to the special orders desk. Show the special orders team the size of your door and ask them for a quote. Once they process the quote for you, all you need to do is to decide if you wish to proceed with the order.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects