Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a gap in window?

Gloellas
Growing in Experience

How to fix a gap in window?

Hi there,

We have just purchased a unit and it is very old and needs a lot of love.  It was being rented out as a holiday unit as is.  We intend to keep on renting it out, but we want to make it way more presentable than it currently is. 

One of the biggest issues are the windows.  The body corporate are currently arranging a full replacement of all windows in the building, so replacing anything is not something I want to spend money on atm.

The issue I am trying to resolve is the windows whistle.  For the specific window I am currently looking at, it closes fully at the top.  Then at approx 10cm down a gap between the window and the frame starts to appear.  At the bottom of the window that gap is 3mm wide.  I would like to fill the gap, but still be able to open the window if possible.

An idea I have is to use No more Gaps.  I thought I could put masking tape on the window and fill the frame part with no more gaps.  I would close the window to get the correct shape of the gap filled.  When it is nearly set, I will  be able to open the window as the masking tape will not stick to the no more gaps.  I would then clean up the edges etc and paint.

Does that make sense?  I have no building experience and just try to brainstorm ideas with my basic knowledge of available products.  I would love any advice on any more appropriate solutions that I can diy without removing the windows please.

View of full window.View of full window.Top of the window where it fully closes.  You can see the gap starting to appear.Top of the window where it fully closes. You can see the gap starting to appear.Bottom of window where gap is 3mm wide.  You can see light through the gap.Bottom of window where gap is 3mm wide. You can see light through the gap.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a gap in window?

Your method sounds like it would work, @Gloellas; it is certainly worth a try. You could also apply Moroday MWS4 Econo Self Adhesive Weather Seal down the wall where the window meets it. Once the window is shut, it should compress the weather seal and help it conform to the gap shape. The seal is self-adhesive, so just clean the wall and apply where needed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects