Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a doorknob hole?

Georgiejonsson
Just Starting Out

How to fix a doorknob hole?

IMG_2111.jpeg

I’m wanting to replace my doorknobs with these brass ones. The hole in the  hollow core door is visible on the sides of the door backplate. Any suggestions on how to fill them? 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix a doorknob hole

Hi  @Georgiejonsson 

If you  door handle functioning well like that not sloping around in the over sided hole. it will be simple matter to infill the round visable space each side of the nice  brass  door knob.

How ever a  better fix is buying a tmber hole  saw for the drill and cutting out new timber disks x2 to glue them into the  holes flush with door outer and then add new holes to mount new brass handle set.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a doorknob hole

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Georgiejonsson. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing door knobs.

It's great to see that @Jewelleryrescue has already provided an answer. Glueing new timber in the holes is a solid choice. Alternatively, you can fill the void with Builder's Bog and sand to a smooth surface. The repaired section can then be primed and painted.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects