Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill small gaps around windows outside?

Samara1
Getting Established

How to fill small gaps around windows outside?

First time building in NSW. Will these small gaps around windows outside be filled with silicon as standard? 

Samara1_0-1715128990826.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill small gaps around windows outside?

Hi @Samara1,

Are you asking if you can use silicone to fill these gaps or if your builder will fill these gaps before handing over the property? You could certainly fill these gaps, and if you were going to do so, I recommend using Sikaflex 11FC

I can't imagine the builder will fill these gaps as they are likely within acceptable tolerances or there might be weatherproofing within the frame.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

great thanks. Is it DIY. what are the other tools required if i DIY this to all my windows. thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sealing a gap would be considered a D.I.Y. project @Samara1. You'll need a caulking gun, and silicone scrapers would be handy for a neat finish. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

Please bear in mind that filling these gaps might be unnecessary. I'd first ask your builder whether it needs to be done. The windows could have been set in with Sikaflex already, and you can't see it from the outside. If the windows are already sealed, sealing this gap could be a heap of effort for little to no benefit; I guess it could prevent creepy crawlies from calling the gap their home, though.

Mitchell

Great thanks Mitchell 

its my first build. sorry what is Sikaflex here. All my windows are double glazed. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sikaflex is similar to silicone and is a sealant and adhesive used to fill gaps and structural joints @Samara1. It's like the next step up from silicone and is more commonly used by builders.

Mitchell

good to know that Sikaflex is better than Silicone. my builder use Silicone. do i need to ask to go for Sikaflex as its strong and better than Silicone?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samara1 

If your builder has not yet put silicone on the window, I suggest telling him that you would prefer to use Sikaflex 11FC as it is a better product.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects