Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps between pavers?

mmd22
Building a Reputation

How to fill gaps between pavers?

Hello 

I would like get some information how could I fill the gap between pavers .

last 2 years I filled the gap  3 times with different brand pave set but it going away . 
what should I do and what could I use to fix this issue ? 
Thank you

IMG_7602.jpeg

IMG_7598.jpeg

IMG_7600.jpeg

IMG_7596.jpeg

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Re: How to fill the gap between Pavers ?

Hi @mmd22,

Can you advise what kind of sand you've put between the pavers previously?

I ask because when used correctly polymeric paver sand should effectively last in the region of 5 years.

Jacob

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hello @JacobZ95 

Thank you for replying.

I used Dingo Powerloc Paving sand 

Thank you 

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @mmd22,

Well you've certainly used the right product.

With this in mind I think there may be a void underneath the pavers which allows the polymeric paving sand to fall through over time.

When installing the polymeric paving sand, it would be helpful to sweep the sand in, then vibrate the pavers using a plate compactor to ensure all the voids beneath the pavers are filled, then sweep more sand in to fill before wetting the sand down to activate the polymer.

You can hire a small compactor such as this For Hire Small Compactor from most Bunnings stores, but it may be worth calling your local store to confirm availability.

Let me know what you think,

Jacob

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Hi @JacobZ95 

Thank you for your reply.

as I used that product few times I was thinking to use something else as it is not working for me .

I just watch a video in burning website  that using one bag sand and one forth cement would do that same job .

i am curious to know how much water should I give after swapping Sand and cement into the gaps ? 
also mentioned in the post repeat  again until all gaps are filled .

should I put more sand and cement if the paving is wet from previous water or should I wait until they are completely dry ? 
Thank you 

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @mmd22,

You can use sand and cement for this purpose, but it is not the best product for this as it doesn't have as much ability to move and flex with the movement of the pavers and will crack over time. The advantage of polymeric sand is that it allows movement without cracking, and over time everything will move ever so slightly.

I think the main issue in your situation is coming from underneath. Without pulling up the pavers and having a look at the substrate, I can only hazard a guess, but it's likely the base for these pavers is not adequately compacted. With this, any water running through is taking material with it causing erosion and allowing the polymeric sand to fall through the cracks over time.

Regardless of the product used, adequate compaction is likely the best solution to your issue. Whatever you choose to use, I would apply enough to fill the gaps, compact it and then reapply. Keep doing this until you are satisfied that it is completely full and will not take any more. Then clean the excess material from the area and wet it down. You don't want to completely soak it as this will weaken the chemical bond, just enough to wet all the material should be adequate.

Hope this helps,

Jacob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mmd22,

@JacobZ95 has touched on some quite relevant points there. Pavers are moving objects, so anytime you add something between them, it's only a temporary solution that needs to be topped up. However, I suspect what's happening here is the pavers were laid, and later, the "gaps" were filled. There are gaps shown in your images, like numbers 2,3 and 4, that should be filled with polyurethane sealant. But, the area between many of the pavers is not a gap per se. It's a depression left when their sides are hard up against each other. You're effectively trying to fill the rounded edges of the pavers to give it a grouted look. The polymetric sand is dislodging as there is not enough gap between the pavers to lock into. However, I can see that there is a large enough gap in some instances, and the sand has still deteriorated.

I suspect that it's along the lines of what @JacobZ95 suggested, and the movement in your pavers due to inadequate compaction has caused the polymetric sand to crack and then deteriorate over time.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mmd22
Building a Reputation

Thank you @MitchellMc .

mmd22
Building a Reputation

Thank you @JacobZ95 .

i will try that .

For the bigger gap do you think polymeric sand is suitable ? 
Thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects