Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to detect the difference between steel frames and wooden studs with stud finder?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to detect the difference between steel frames and wooden studs with stud finder?

Hello All,

I'm using Ryobi Stud finder (https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-stud-finder_p0034497) to locate the stud. Upon drilling using Super Wallmate (https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-super-wallmate-toggle-anchor-10-pack_p2260188) noticed the stud as a metal frame. Finding it difficult to pierce through the metal frame using Super Wallmate.

I was looking for wooden stud and ended up the stud finder locating 'Steel frame'. Is there a way to identify the stud as 'Steel frame' / 'Wooden stud' through the stud finder.  The intent is to locate wooden stud and fix the super wall mate to it for mounting wall mount cabinet.

Please share your thoughts on this.

MM

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to detect the difference between steel frames and wooden studs with stud finder?

Hi @nagumuthu,

Is your house constructed from metal or timber studs? Usually, it's one or the other, not both. Or is it a metal stud house that's had some additional work done with timber studs? To confuse things a little further, Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchors get fixed in the plasterboard, not metal or timber studs. So, if anything, you'd be trying to avoid studs when using these fixings.

Were you, by chance, misled by the picture on the front of the packet? As to me, it looks like the fixture is being screwed into a timber stud, which it is not. It's just a side view of the wall cavity, which pictures the timber stud behind the fixture. The image I've included below is a better illustration of it being fixed into the cavity section. To fix them, avoid the metal studs that you've already located. They'll go straight into the plasterboard.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to detect the difference between steel frames and wooden studs with stud finder?

Hello Mitchell,

Thanks for your comment. Upon checking with the builder, I came to know that metal studs were used throughtout the house. I have drilled another hole (with Superwall mater - Ramset Anchor) near the metal stud to secure the wall mount cabinet.

Wondering on what anchor to use, when securing things to metal stud, as the next project will be fixing a TV to a metal stud.

Appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks.

MM

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nagumuthu

Can you please tell us what is the size of the TV and what kind of TV bracket are you using? This will allow our members to assess the size of the TV. We can then make recommendations on how to mount it. I also suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Mounting large 75" TV to a wall with a steel frame by @eneity. Some brackets sometimes are not wide enough to reach both sides of the stud. If it does not reach the sides, it will be necessary to use a timber panel as a mounting point for the TV bracket.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Very sage advice, @EricL,

With very large or heavy TV sets (they aren't as bad as they used to be), I would suggest 18mm structural plywood screwed to the studs,

use as many contact points in the "envelope" meaning as high and as wide as you can, use at least 50 mm long Tek-screws (for metal) and an impact driver,

being careful to avoid any wiring within the wall.

With any large TV, it shouldn't be that hard to have all of this behind the set itself, you can also paint the plywood the same colour as the wall

for asthetics.

When you mount your bracket for the TV, use Tek-screws for wood, into the plywood at all points that you need to make the bracket robust before you mount the TV to the bracket.

It is a lot harder to explain this over the Net than it is to actually do it.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MikeTNZ

Let me tag @nagumuthu to make them aware of your recommendations. I think it's always for the best to put as much support as possible especially when you are hanging a 30kg+ tv on your wall. 

Eric

Hello @MitchellMc @EricL @MikeTNZ and all

Referencing to this discussion, to fix a wall mounted cabinet to plaster ( within the area of blue coloured painters tape as shown in below image), screwed 'Ramset Superwall mate' to one extrement end of the fixture that holds the cabinet.

Unfortunately drilling hole ( at the location available in the fixture ) on the other end of the fixture ended up in front of metal studs.  Tried another location and found the metal stud again, as informed in below image.   The weight of the cabinet is around 12Kg.

nagumuthu_1-1666575052487.png

What is the type of screw, I need to buy from Bunnings that pierces through the metal stud and holds the fixture in place for mounting the wall cabinet to the plaster.

Regards

M.Muthu

For the steel frame behind the plaster, I understood from the builder that the steel frame thickness is 0.7mm and the cross section is unknown.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nagumuthu

I often over-engineer my fixings, I suggest using the Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchors 3 more times on the plasterboard side of the wall. One below the one you've already installed and two more for the centre of the cabinet. I then suggest using Zenith 12G x 65mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws on the right-hand side where the steel studs are. I recommend a minimum of three screws one for the top, middle and bottom of the cabinet.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hello @EricL 

Thanks for your recommendation.  

Sharing the view of the cabinet and wondering that on fixing the fastners at other recommended positions. Will Zenith  Metal screw 12G bear the load of 20Kg?

nagumuthu_0-1666590789837.png

nagumuthu_1-1666590874521.png

nagumuthu_2-1666591028378.png

Best regards

M.Muthu

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects