Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut plastic?

gamini
Finding My Feet

How to cut plastic?

IMG_20220705_091127.jpg

Hi, I am planning to add a new Eufy door bell. This door bell is about 3cm thick and therefore I am planning to put a clear plastic/ acrylic frame around it. The frame should be  20x13 cm and 2 - 3 cm thick. Need to make a hole in the middle to accomodate for the door bell. This hole is 13.5x4.5 cm in size. Is there any place to make this sort of plastic / acrylic frame?

IMG_20220705_091153.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cut plastic?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gamini. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cutting perspex.

If you're looking for someone to cut this perspex for you, I'd suggest searching for laser cutting services in your local area. This is likely something they could do quite easily for you.

If you want to attempt this project yourself, I trust our members will be full of helpful advice. I've had success using a circular saw with its blades set, so it only just cuts through the perspex. You'll need to be relatively careful with the cutting and drilling as perspex cracks easily.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @gamini 

You mentioned up to 30mm thick.

I'd be going to a plastics factory. I took a large sheet of acrylic splashback to such a factory and they cut it to size including the holes for the power-points using CNC routers. I thought what they charged me was quite reasonable. But 30mm - it just sounds expensive. Is there a thinner solution to this project?

Thanks for info. I am planning to talk to a company with a laser cutting machines.

I need at least 2.5cm thick slab. Will talk to a plastics manufacturer as this thick slab can not be cut easily. Thanks for your reply.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gamini

Have you considered doing a combination of timber and perspex so that it will be easier to cut? Is there an installation reason for using such very thick perspex? I've placed an example below of how you can put it together. Please let me know if this will work for your set-up.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric. Your excellent pictures demonstrate how to do my job in a different way. It is a good idea. I will let you know if I need more help.

Thanks a lot.

Gamini

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects