Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect timber braces to concrete house piers?

Wal
Finding My Feet

How to connect timber braces to concrete house piers?

What is the preferred manner to attach timber braces to concrete house piers on a domestic single storey weatherboard house??

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stump connection

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wal. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting to piers.

It sounds like a bit more information about your project would assist our members in providing relevant solutions. Could you tell us a little more about these braces' dimensions and their purpose?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

Since the block has a gradual fall, the piers at front of dwelling are 450 to bearers while at the rear they are 1300 to bearers. most of the bracing is to the rear of the dwelling. As this is prone to the most movement. I have timber bound to perimeter piers by way of hoop iron so that the base boards can be affixed to them. The braces themselves are 70x25 hardwood  and only fixed at the top and bottom of each end to form the required 30 degree angle.

Hope this helps

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to connect timber braces to concrete house piers?

Hello @Wal,

Thanks for providing those details. @MitchellMc is currently away on a well-deserved break but our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist you when he's back on the site later today. 

Let me also tag our ever-helpful members @Dave-1@Tyro @tom_builds and @DIY4Knuckleheds to see if they have any thoughts.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Akanksha

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Wal 

Mmmmm I honestly cant remember how Ive seen stumps connected in the several houses Ive worked around.

Couiple of questions of course.

Could you take some photos of the stumps and a step back shot to show the slope of the land?

What state do you live in as the rules may be different to ny state  (NSW)

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wal 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding stump connections. It would really help our members assess the installation if you could provide us with a few pictures of the build. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. I'm in total agreement with @Dave-1 that your location is critical as each area will have its own council rules and regulations regarding structural brace installation.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects