Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean metal roof with solar panels?

Kvic
Having an Impact

How to clean metal roof with solar panels?

The tin roof and solar panels are filthy and need a good clean but I know very little and as my partner strongly advises me not to go on the roof I would like to have the understanding of why this problem comes about, is there a separate type of cleaning needed for solar panels, is this a recurring problem and are there different processes that have better outcomes?

IMG20230331132113.jpgIMG20230331132129.jpgIMG20230603130123.jpg

I want to be able to speak the talk when I speak to a tradie so that I can see if he understands this problem and the solution to go with the job needed for my best outcome.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cleaning metal roof with Solar panels

Hi @Kvic,

Part of the maintenance of solar panels is the regular cleaning of them to ensure optimal performance. Dust, dirt, debris, and in your case, lichen can all affect their energy output.

I'd agree that it's best to stay off the roof and leave the job to a professional. Typically the solar panels would require a soft wash with suitable chemicals twice a year. This regular maintenance will prevent the growth of organic materials like moss and lichen.

The rest of the roof can be sprayed down with 30 Seconds 5L Roof Treatment Concentrate. This product works overtime to kill the lichen, which will be washed away eventually. You'll need to discuss suitable methods like pressure cleaning with the professionals to see an immediate result.

I'd recommend you employ a company with experience with cleaning solar panels and not just general roof cleaning services. The lichen on your solar panels will be holding on very aggressively, and if the correct method is not employed to remove it, it could damage the panels.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Mitchell

Thanks for the advise.

We have a grey water system that collects water from the roof and while we don't ingest or wash with this water I have concerns using chemicals on the roof as we do use this water from the outside yard taps for watering and cleaning as the grey water pump does comes on when using these taps.

I had considered maybe a sealer on the metal roof of some sort as I believe the lichen doesn't have roots and doesn't cause damage as far as I know but again these products use chemicals.

From my research into lichen, we only notice lichen right now as the weather conditions of late are ideal and it would suggest that if the weather returns to a hotter and dry season then the lichen will not survive.

I have decided unless you have other information that I should consider to live with the lichen.

The solar panels are easy to get to and I do feel they need to be regularly cleaned.

I found this information interesting:

Cleaning solar panels early in the morning or late in the evening when the panels are cool can prevent rapid drying, which may cause streaks or spots. Avoid cleaning them during the hottest parts of the day to minimize the risk of thermal shock.

The solar power meter or a solar energy meter that is affix to the side of the house gives us a reading of input, for this case so it would be interest to see the change after cleaning and we have noticed that we receive a lot less return from our power provider for the panel.

I found this information:

solar power meters or monitoring systems often come with software or online platforms that allow users to access and extract historical performance data.

I must contact my power supplier or the manufacture of this device.

So my point is leave the lichen along and find some data of past performance of my solar meter and then clean the solar panel myself as see what the result is. 

Thank you again Mitchell for your advise and the many times before.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kvic,

That sounds like a plan, though I would suggest you investigate cleaning solutions that don't use harsh chemicals. Even water blasting will remove the bulk of the lichen. Although lichen might not have conventional roots, I can assure you that it will damage your roofing if left unchecked. It attaches itself very aggressively to the roof sheets, and the painted coating will be affected. This might not be structural damage, but the coating will be compromised, and even if removed later, you will be able to see where it was attached. This might not bother you, and that's fine; it's just that the manufacturer would recommend you remove the lichen as soon as possible.

Mitchell

Catnipmanor1234
Cultivating a Following

Hello.  We have a tiled roof, and also sun-tuff over our pergola. Over time, the tiles became semi covered with lichen, as did the sun-tuff. I went on to Hi-pages where you can put your job requirement on line. I think this was 2016.  They did a terrific job, and now in June '23 there is still no lichen on the tiled roof, just a little on the sun-tuff. Can't remember who came out, but they cleaned the tiled roof so well, I asked them could they do the sun-tuff for me as well. They used a high pressure hose, and some sort of chemical. I queried the chemicals, as I had 2 little dogs.  It was all perfectly safe. Didn't take long, and what a lovely surprise, they didn't charge me for the sun-tuff!! Noticeably though the fellow who was standing on the roof, and the roof of the laundry to do the sun-tuff was not tall, and very slim!!! So if you don't fancy walking on fragile surfaces, try Hi-pages, or other places that offer services from all sorts of tradies. But be careful, because last January ('22) I had an absolute b...... come in and hack my garden and trees to pieces. So annoyed with him, I told him to get out.....Just be aware that there are 'cowboys' out there who will not do a good job. Gabrielle.🦄

Hello Mitchell and Catnipmanor

Challenged excepted

I have 3 test windows in the bedroom

Test A, B and CTest A, B and C

From left to right A, B , C

I am looking for 3 cleaning solutions that don't use harsh chemicals which I will then remove the screen from these 3 windows and spray directly onto the lichen to see the results over a period of time.

AI or artificial Intelligence has recommended 

1 White Vinegar Solution

2 Lemon Juice Solution

I would like another suggestion, thank you Mitchell.

Roof from windowRoof from window

I will then be able to see the result of these solutions and also be checking the surface of the roofing for scarring and staining. 

Then I will decide on a delivery system for the roof from the final 3 natural cleaning solutions.

I like natural, I had a possum which I affectionally called commo who ran along the top of the Colourbond fence and with a jump to the left bounded onto the roof and would do burnouts and donuts on the roof during the night.  

One morning while brushing my teeth I saw the Vaseline and decided to take a large handful of the gel and wiped the top of the fence.

I still claim I heard a crash that night and have not been woken since, I hope commo is well! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kvic,

I'd be cautious with using acidic cleaning solutions on the painted surface. Here's the technical documentation for the maintenance of Colorbond roof sheeting.

Mitchell

it seems rain water itself can contain Sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, chloride, bicarbonate, and sulfate ions which some can be found in sugar soap and 30 seconds cleaner. 

Ok, I won't squeeze a lemon or pour the vinegar directly on the roof.

If I drink the lemon or vinegar I may make a face not sure about sugar soap or 30 second cleaner so I think it is worth the risk and the roof can be replaced but my partner still needs me.

I will however get some 30 second cleaner as your recommendation as the 3 sample as I can shift the down pipe from the roof to the grey water tank onto the ground during cleaning.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects