Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose nail gun and nail type for wall mould project?

mhasan
Just Starting Out

How to choose nail gun and nail type for wall mould project?

Hi guys,

I am planning on a mould (wall panel) instllation project, where I want to install wooden mould in some of the wall in my house.

Moulding style would be as follows:

Wall mouldingWall moulding

I am choosing 11 mm coverstip panel to create the thicker mould.

However, I am confused which nail gun to purchase as I have never used nail gun before.

My consideration is,

1. The mould would be install on a gyprock wall (standard Aussie house wall) 

2. The house is steel structure house

3. As usual the mould would be attached with lequid nail or similar strong adhesive.

My question is,

1. Should I buy finisher nail gun (16G or thicker) or brad nail gun (18G or thinner)?

2. Is it unreasonable to assume that I need to find the steel stud and try to attach the panels with steel stud (nail will go through the panel + drywall + steel stud)?

3. If steel stud is out of question, would a regular 18G brad nail (including the liquids nail)  would be enough to support the havier panels with the drywall only?

4. Based on the current situation which nail gun you suggest with what type of nail (thickness(G) and length(mm))?

Please help me choose the correct tool.

Thanks,

M

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to choose nail gun and nail type for wall mould project?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mhasan. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about choosing a nail gun.

It's my understanding that a finishing nail gun/brad nail gun are the same tool. They run a variety of nail lengths, and some can take different gauges. Colloquially they are just called "bradders". The two types of nail guns are bradders and framers; framers being used with large framing nails. If this is a one-off job, I recommend hiring a Trim Master Gas Bradder. Either a 16G or 18G nail would be suitable, and a nail length of anything longer than 15mm + the thickness of your timber trim will suffice. If you did want to purchase a nail gun, I'd recommend the Ryobi 18V ONE+ 18GA Brad Nailer - Tool Only.

There is no need to nail the trim timberwork into the studs as the adhesive is doing all the work; the brad nails just hold the timber in position until the adhesive dries. You might like to check out @diy_hausdesigns Wainscoting - Feature wall project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects