Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change casement window winder for flyscreens?

DanD1
Getting Established

How to change casement window winder for flyscreens?

Hi - I am looking to install flyscreens on our windows. However, some of our windows are quite old casement windows that open from the side rather than the bottom. As they open outwards, it's not possible to currently put a flyscreen in front of them. Is there any issue with mounting a window winder on the side so that I can then put up a fly screen? Are there any other alternatives?

1000013614.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Casement window winder

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DanD1. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing flyscreens.

I suspect you'd run into a similar issue with the window winder, and that is, you'll need access to it through the flyscreen. See Adding a flyscreen to my awning for a solution.

If you were to open the window fully, there's a chance that a Permastik 1.2 x 1m Adjustable Magnetic Fly Screen Kit could be added to the outside of the inner frame. You could pull it back to open and close the window with the magnetic fixing. The other product that could work in your situation is a flyscreen port. The arm of the window stay when closed, could go through the port, and hang on the inside of the flyscreen. However, in order to close the port when the stay is in use, it would need to be on the last hole and fully opened.

I like the idea of switching to a winder, but some work will be involved in creating a custom screen to suit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DanD1
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell - I was thinking of putting a sill (see picture) over the winder so that there is a level surface continuous with the winder the the flyscreen is flush against. What I was more wondering is whether it's possible to use a winder either at the bottom or on the side to wind out a casement window? Or will they only work with awning windows that open from the bottom?

Cheers - Dan

1000013643.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DanD1 

From an operational point of view having the window winder on the side mimics its natural operation of opening windows from the bottom. Placing the winder at the bottom will put too much stress on the winding mechanism as all the force is concentrated in one corner at the bottom. 

When you compare it to the side mount where the force is directed in the middle of the window frame thereby having a balanced load on the winder. A word of caution, please make sure to test each position to make sure that there is enough space for the winding mechanism to be mounted on.

In regards to the sill, as long as it does not interfere with the operation of the winder or the closing of the window but helps with the positioning of the flyscreen then installing it will not be an issue.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects