Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a toolkit for minor renos?

Madi
Growing in Experience

How to build a toolkit for minor renos?

Hello,

I’ve been a loyal Bunnings customer and my partner and I recently purchased a new home. We are doing small touch ups to our home and were wanting to build a simple toolkit so we could do minor renos around the house. Please can you recommend what are the essentials tools and recommendations for each? All we have is a measuring tape ha ha . We are not looking to splurge so something mid-range would be good. 

best

mids

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a toolkit for minor renos?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Madi. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about starting a toolkit.

We've got a couple of great Best Advice articles that I'm sure you'll find useful: What tools does a beginner need? and What tools do you recommend for a beginner? There's plenty of advice from our experienced members to read through.

You might like to also check out these articles:

There are also plenty of great toolkits to get you started. These take the hassle out of individually selecting basic tools. I've always thought this Supatool 105 Piece Tool Bag Kit is good bang for your buck and includes a variety of tools that you'll get good use from. I've just checked out what those tools would cost separately if you chose the cheapest ones possible, and there's a significant saving from purchasing the kit. My mother picked one of these up for herself, and when I was around at her house recently doing some work for her, the kit came in very handy and saved the day.

Combine the above kit with a Ryobi 18V ONE+ 2.0Ah Drill Driver Kit and a Ryobi 40-Piece Specialty Metric Drill and Drive Set, and you'll be golden. If you were planning to drill into masonry to hang pictures or install shelving, you might want to upgrade to the Ryobi 18V ONE+ Hammer Drill R18PD2422B Kit that has the hammer function.

Next on the list for me would be a Ryobi 18V ONE+ Random Orbital Sander - Tool Only. You only need the tool as you'll already have the battery from the drill above. I've had one of these for years, and it's just so handy. Great for small jobs and it also packs a punch when you're really trying to remove material. I recently misplaced mine somewhere, and I'm devastated as there have been so many jobs I could have used it on. I'll be buying another one shortly as they are indispensable piece of kit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Madi
Growing in Experience

Re: How to build a toolkit for minor renos?

It’s a lot of taken in. Thanks for the detailed response Mitchell :smile: 

Will go through the list and consider what to get. Will share a pic when I have the full toolkit :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects