Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you transform normal aluminium windows into French looking?

Jennifeffy
Just Starting Out

How do you transform normal aluminium windows into French looking?

Is there a way to transform standard aluminium windows into French look windows as attached

Screenshot_20230211_023955_Google.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do you transform normal aluminium windows into French looking

Hi @Jennifeffy,

Transforming a normal window into a French-style window is entirely possible. It's quite common to see various windows trimmed with aluminium strips to mimic this style. I actually broke a large sliding door with this type of trim. I replaced the glass, removed all the trim off the broken window, and glued it back onto the new window.

You could use aluminium flat bar, but it might be more user-friendly to complete the project with timber. We have Porta 30 x 8mm 2.4m Moulding Tasmanian Oak Coverstrip Square Edge Select for the frame and Porta 20 x 8mm 2.4m Moulding Tasmanian Oak Coverstrip Square Edge Select for the cross sections. You'll want to spend a little timber selecting the straightest pieces for your project. 

After you've cut the timber strips on a compound mitre saw, or with a mitre box and handsaw, you can adhere them to the glass with Sika 290ml Crystal Clear Sikaflex®-112 Adhesive Sealant. You can use painter's tape to hold the timber in position until the glue dries. Taking accurate measurements and cutting the timber precisely will be key to a successful project. Before painting the trim, you can fill any gaps present with timber filler.

I've created some renderings below for you to illustrate the process. You'll need to trim the window on both sides of the window for a convincing look—no need to remove the pane of glass for this project.

It's important to remember your PPE when working around glass and using power tools. A long-sleeved shirt and pants, gloves, enclosed footwear and safety glasses are a must. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

win1.pngwin2.pngwin3.pngwin4.pngwin5.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: how do you transform normal aluminium windows into French looking

We used to have a similar look on aluminium windows. They were stuck on. They were called colonial bars. Worth looking at. JDE

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects