Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i improve the house facade?

MirandaG
Getting Established

How do i improve the house facade?

IMG_2672.jpeg

Hi everyone 

After some advice / suggestions / ideas on how to update the front of our Josie. 

We are putting a rendered wall across the front of our property and want to update the brick facade. Have been thinking about surfmist walls - painted or verticale CFC panels / cladding from the wall where the hose is hanging to the other wall under the roof where the glass squares are.

IMG_2657.jpeg

Maybe render brick pillars to match retaining wall? And Dune roof gutters and rafters. We have a Dune shed out the back so thought the roof would tie in with this. Also considering a deck under the roof / verandah along the front between the door and windows? Open to all suggestions. Thank you in advance 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How do i improve the house facade?

Good Evening @MirandaG 

I like the sound of the rendered wall, How high is it going to be? (The wall makes me think of a cooler courtyard type deal)

For a deck under the roof you would probably have to remove the tiles. (You may find a concrete slab under the roof tho)

I had to go check out what "Surf Mist" was :smile: I must say that looks pretty nice. My neighbors house was flipped and they painted it white, I thought noooo but really it cam up looking very classy and the paint still looks solid after a year (House was just a plain cream brick before)

I also like the outside the box thinking with the vertical CFC panels. I wonder if they could be mounted off the wall to allow air to circulate behind them?  Sun hits panel, it warms, the air behind it rises up and out a gap at the top cooling the panel?

The more I flick between the two photos the more I am thinking of some kind of shaded structure coming out from the front of the house. Something that will keep the sun off the walls that can be also used as that courtyard/pergola area?

The pavers you have for the path you could pull up and reuse to extend the patio area outwards, You could put in some posts to support an open beamed structure that will break the sun but allow light to still come through. If your soil is poor due to it being sandy you could grow some climbing vines in a few large pots to grow and cover that overhead beamed pergola . (Remember Bougainvilleas have thorns! hahahah yeah I use to have to prune my grandmothers and it would grow so fast!)

I like any idea that keeps direct sun off the walls. You could have posts laid out like the old style wrap around veranda's. You wouldnt need a solid roof, you could have the beams across the width of the house, depending on how far apart the beams are they will break that afternoon/morning sun. 

I would also like to offer a warm welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: Sorry I got carried away thinking of the yard and house! :smile: There are lot of ideas in here for landscaping and also decking/classing. 

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MirandaG,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing you transform your home.

I would recommend you check out the Make It Happen early episodes where the Bunnings team transform the facade of a typical 80s suburban home. I'm sure you can get some inspiration. 

Let me also tag some experienced renovators in the community for their thoughts: @redbournreno@Renowayoflife and @lifestylebymari.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MirandaG,

Such a great facade that could be dramatically changed on a reasonable budget. Love the idea of adding feature cladding or potentially even white-washing the bricks. I've had a bit of a tinker and the potential is really outstanding. I'm not suggesting you go with any one look, but there are features that could be taken from each.

Let me know if anything piques your fancy, and we can discuss the best way to achieve that look.

Mitchell 

facade2-new (3).png

MirandaG
Getting Established

Thanks for taking the time to reply Dave - will have to do some more research into the panels / position/ heat etc and I love the idea of a Bougainvillea there are a lot in our area and they look beautiful. Will have a look through the previous posts for some deck inspo 

Wow! Thank you so much. It's super helpful to be able to see what the front could look like - it's very exciting to see how much of a difference some paint etc would make. They all look great - I've been looking over them all day. 

I really like the two different colours used in picture 4 and the two different materials used in picture 6. We live near the beach and both are giving me coastal vibes. Our neighbours house is a grey and woodland look and I would like a different colour  scheme. Thanks again ! 

WacoRemodeling1
Finding My Feet

To enhance your house facade, consider painting the surfmist walls for a fresh look, adding vertical CFC panels for texture, matching the brick pillars with the retaining wall, and coordinating the roof with Dune gutters and rafters to create a cohesive aesthetic. Additionally, a deck under the roof could add charm and functionality to your home's frontage.

Hello @WacoRemodeling1 

Let me tag @MirandaG to make them aware of your suggestions. Thanks for sharing those ideas, I really like your recommendation of using CFC sheets as it is such an easy way to change the texture of your walls without having to put in so much manual labour.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects