Workshop
Ask a question

How do I fill a hole in masonry?

elbow
Growing in Experience

How do I fill a hole in masonry?

Hey All

Just done some rewiring of the house and removed a lot of old fittings and wires but am left with big holes to fill. Both holes are 40-50mm deep - If you have any suggestions on how best to fill them i'm all ears but i am trying to avoid using any wood. Massive thanks in advance  :bigsmile:🙏hole1.jpghole2.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do i fill my Hole?

Hi @elbow,

Thank you for your question.

I'll start by saying all concrete work should be conducted with the relevant personal protective equipment including gloves, mask and eye protection.

I would suggest using Concremate. It is a repair mortar with an expanding element to offset drying shrinkage and would be perfect for this application.

You should start by removing the old unused electrical boxes and cleaning the areas thoroughly, removing all loose material using a stiff bristled brush. Once clean, follow the manufacturer's instructions to mix the Concremate to a trowellable consistency, then apply to the holes using a trowel such as this Craftright 250mm Brick Trowel. Smooth overusing your trowel to a smooth finish then allow to dry fully before applying any paint or further coatings.

Let me know if you need any other assistance.

Jacob

elbow
Growing in Experience

Hey Jacob

thanks for this one, much appreciated - Will the concremate be ok if i make it thick enough to sit in the vertical holes, so it doesn't fall out?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @elbow,

The advice I've received from the supplier is that this product is suitable for this application, you will just have to make it thick enough that it doesn't fall out of the hole or attach some kind of formwork or boxing to keep it in place while it sets. It should harden within 10 minutes and set hard within an hour.

Let me know if you have any further questions or require any further assistance.

Jacob

elbow
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jacob, thats awesome!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects