Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I patch up an old wall in a Victorian terrace?

cindercone
Just Starting Out

How do I patch up an old wall in a Victorian terrace?

Hi Everyone, I'm very much a newbie who is now trying to fix what I can of a fairly dilapidated Victorian terrace.

Do you know what I should I use to patch up this wall (and eventually other less damaged wall areas around the house) so that it can be ready for painting? The photos are of the chimney breast that was previously covered up. I'm trying to identify the layers of existing materials covering the brick. Is it cement render? plaster? Any help on what products to use and steps would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

Covered Chimney breastCovered Chimney breastAnother AngleAnother AngleClose upClose up

Another hole in the roomAnother hole in the room

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I patch up this wall?

Hi @cindercone 

You have some mess to cleanup. 

I think it looks like cement render blue paint and then a plaster capping with cream paint.

Normally  I would cut that section of gyprock out and replace it.

So step  1 is to test all that material and see what is  solid and what cracked and floating around as a loose chunky  material. The object is to fix (glue  if possible ) as much of that material to be a solid base again.

Question  1 is all that remaining material solid to touch or is it flexing in and out?

Try get behind any loose material and sqirt in  liquid nails to stabalize it make the remaining wall stable,

Is  the skirting board in the correct position?  if it is then the wall that is supposed to be attached too

is gapping away from it they need to be re joined and the timber corner moulding needs to be aligned and set in to position. 

Think of the skirting board the corner of the wall and the remains of the wall as a skeleton frame it needs to be set straight  (as it is for our  repair guidelines ) so  we can then fill holes back to the skeleton frame work.

I would use cement mortar to fill and repair the voids as it shouldnt shrink like other fillers. I problably want a metal mesh in the void to add support.

OR

Would a timber  half wall look nice? Painted  panels? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I patch up this wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cindercone. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preparing damage to walls.

So good advice there from @Jewelleryrescue. Once you've filled the deeper voids with mortar, you can go over the area with plaster filler, or cement render which would likely match that rougher wall texture better. 

Given the age of the building there is a strong possibility that it would contain asbestos. Take all precautions and assume the materials like wallboard include asbestos unless confirmed otherwise. Wear appropriate PPE, including a face mask, disposable overalls, gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and pants, and enclosed footwear. I'd strongly advise you to have the walls tested before disturbing them and especially sanding them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I patch up an old wall in a Victorian terrace?

How is your project going @cindercone? I trust the advice you received was helpful. Please don't hesitate to post follow-up questions if you still need a hand. We're here to help.

I'm sure members will also be keen to see progress shots as you renovate the house.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects