Workshop
Ask a question

How do I learn basic carpentry skills?

SkyeRoxanne
Finding My Feet

How do I learn basic carpentry skills?

Hi, My dad says I can't build a garden shed and is worried I will chop off a finger if I do!! 

Does anyone know where I can go and learn basic carpentry skills - at present I am limited to high school woodwork from 20 years ago.

All I really want to learn is how to use tools safely.  My end goal is to build a stud frame garden shed with a skillion roof.  I will be pulling up decking and building the shed on top so I know my joists are level and I have something already squared off to work from.  I have checked with my brother (a carpenter) and he has confirmed they meet the requirements for strength and I am good to build straight on top.  It's just a square shed and nothing special, but I want to do it myself.

Any help knowing where to go for some basic hands on training would be gold!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I learn basic carpentry skills - Essendon, Vic

Hello @SkyeRoxanne 

Have you considered conducting a Google search to explore available resources? This could serve as a helpful starting point. Alternatively, our supportive community members are likely to offer insights if they're aware of any options.

We pride ourselves on fostering an encouraging environment, and I'm confident our members will be delighted to propose projects you might enjoy pursuing. I also recommend perusing our How-To section, which features numerous user-friendly, step-by-step guides categorized by difficulty level. Additionally, the article on Essential hand tools for D.I.Y. beginners by @Peggers is an invaluable source of information.

I propose learning your basics first in order to get a good foundation. Building a timber shed is very involved. 

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you learn woodworking?

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @SkyeRoxanne 

I still get nervous of projects! And am always learning :smile:

Sometimes I have chosen too large a goal and end up with "blockades" as I call them. The parts that I know how to do, no issues and then I run into something out of scope for my comfort level and the project stalls... for weeks  lol

Have you had a go at building or moddifying anything else? Table, Bench, outside bench? And I just thought of a perfect thing to try!  Its something that will come in handy, very handy for your shed and something that you willfind multiple uses for plus you will learn skills (If you havent them alread) of how to put a box together.

I am suggesting you build a couple or three old school saw horses. I had drawn up the saw hores I aquired form Telstra years ago but @MitchellMc actually drew up the plans and nailed it! 

Saw horses (Upcycled Telstra installation stands) 

Having a few of these guys will be handy and gaurenteed you will know which one you built first compared to the last one! :smile: If you can put together something solid as these then as they say "The shed is your oyster" :smile:

Oh and if you want to learn how to use tools, as @EricL sugests youtube is good but you have access to a whole bunch of people in here (Just ask a question), we all have different skills and levels within those skills so no worry about where you are skillwise.

Dave

Thanks for the idea! I was actually looking at saw horse plans this morning. I figured the same. I need to start small and develop my skills. 

After the saw horses I am thinking a sun lounger, there were a lot simple plans around for those too and it was on my to buy list anyway.

I also had a carpenter look over my plans and he has green lighted the framing plan I drew up and checked the span tables to confirm I got the lintels right. (I am that type of person who reads the framing standards for fun!!)

I figure if I demonstrate competency in those items I will be on my way to the skills I need. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @SkyeRoxanne 

:smile: Strange that you mentioned next on your list a sunlounge...

Heres one I prepared earlier lol Outside timber lounge with wheels 

It was one of the easier pieces I have made, Everything kept to standard lengths and all heights I stole off existing furniture :smile: It is actually really comfortable to lie on.

Dave

Hi @SkyeRoxanne,

Check out his handy guide for constructing a sturdy set of sawhorses: How to build a saw horse

It's a great project for someone starting out, and the plus is that you'll have a surface to work on for future projects.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects