Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I use my existing key for new deadbolt cylinder?

Narla
Building a Reputation

How can I use my existing key for new deadbolt cylinder?

Morning all .

I need to replace the cylinder on our deadbolt but want to use the same key as it’s used for all our doors. Does Bunnings do this or is there a deadbolt that can be altered to work with existing key? Just looking at possible options before I call a locksmith:) Thanks very much.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I use my existing key for new deadbolt cylinder?

Hi @Narla,

Do you happen to know the brand of the lock and how recently it was installed? There is a chance that you could Special Order a cylinder keyed-alike to your current key. If it's the original key, it likely has a number printed on it, which would be a detail we could provide to our supplier when checking on whether this is a possibility. 

If the lock is one of our brands, then I'd be happy to contact the manufacturer to find out whether keyed-alike cylinder are something we can order. That would all come down to whether we can work out what number the key is.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Narla
Building a Reputation

Thanks very much @MitchellMc :smile:

It’s a Lockwood that looks like the Bunnings Lockwood stainless steel symmetry double cylinder deadbolt but unfortunately I don’t think we have an original key as the one I’m using is a Silca WC2?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Narla,

The original key would typically have a three-digit number printed on it. The key you have is one that was cut. 

It might require a locksmith to see if they can change the new barrel to suit your keys. I'm not actually sure if that's a possibility, but it would be worth enquiring about.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Narla
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc thanks very much. I thought that may be the case but it’s great to know this is an option for people with original key😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects