Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hot water system upgrade

melissab
Just Starting Out

Hot water system upgrade

Hi! 

The hot water system at my home has recently broken. It fluctuates from cold to hot water where the hot water stays on for about 30 seconds and goes ice cold for a long time very inconsistent water temperature. We have had a plumber come out to have a look. He cleaned out the filters, checked gas pressure and did other tests was advised he cannot fix it as the booster is broken. 

We have a Chromagen M26 booster (box on the wall) and water storage tank also Chromagen - which is also hooked up to solar. We have had it for about 6 years. Highly discourage from purchasing Chromagen - given me nothing but headaches!!!

Online research has not given me much information unfortunately.  

We are looking at buying a new gas (booster) system, and we have a few questions:

1. Are we able to keep the hot water storage tank (Chromagen) and replace the booster/gas system with a brand such as Rheem, Rinnai, DUX etc? 

2. Is it worth scrapping the solar hot water and just have a gas hot water system running? 

3. What should I look for in a hot water system? - We have 3 bathrooms all including showers in a double story home. 

Thank you very much in advance! Cold showers in VIC weather is not fun haha 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hot water system upgrade

Hi @melissab, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your hot water system.

I'm sorry to hear that your hot water system is playing up. I'm afraid that mixing and matching systems is not recommended as the Chromagen system is specifically designed to work together.

In order to repair your hot water system, you'll need a Chromagen accredited repair agent. They'll be able to properly diagnose the system and possibly repair the gas unit. They also might be able to find out why you're getting intermittent hot water. If you wish to contact Chromagen, this is their retail contact number 1300 982 324. 

In regards to the hot water solar system, it would be a waste to simply cut it off. Most solar systems last anywhere from 10 to 15 years when serviced properly. If your solar set is only six years old, it still has a lot to offer. I recommend having it serviced and properly set by an accredited agent so that you can get the full value of the system.

However, if you do decide to replace the gas hot water system, my best recommendation is to get the unit that provides the largest amount of hot water per minute. For example, the Rheem 26L 50° LPG Continuous Flow Hot Water Unit is suitable for houses with 2 to 3 bathrooms, plus it comes with a 10-year warranty.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects