Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Feedback..Planning & Optimising The Loft

BIM_Engineer
Valued Contributor

Feedback..Planning & Optimising The Loft

A question  asked by potentual new members was what's the "Best way to plan & excecute such a project and what are my options?"

I am sure there are many other questions that prevent (demanding) DIY projects from proceeding..I would love to quantify a list here, please keep it brief

The long term aim is to develope an app (G+) for preliminary stage planning/analysis that will assist members...

Thanks

Chris

Kermit
Valued Contributor

Re: Feedback..Planning & Optimising The Loft

The unknown cost!

I've said here before that I think the difficulty with medium-to-big jobs is that you have to sink a lot of money into the project before you really accurately know whether you can afford to build it at all.

I've had the experience of getting architect plans drawn up with a strict budget in mind, and also having to pay for things like soil tests and surveyors, then when the full costings was done the project was going to cost more than twice our budget and just wasn't feasible. It wasn't going to be our forever home so we just weren't going to get our money back. We just had to write the money off we had spent on the plans as a big, expensive learning exercise. The people we sold the house to weren't interested in the plans (or the funky little architectual model) either...

BIM_Engineer
Valued Contributor

Costs depend on analysing alternate solutions, data and choosing the most suitable.
"Trust me I am an Architect is not a (app) solution which requires accurate data up front before financial commitment "
Andy_Mann
Trusted Contributor

@Kermit, while I sympathise with your (costly) bad experience, I'm sure that the unavoidable soil testing & surveying can be rubbed out of factoring into the costly blowout ..... I ask, did the architect bring anything constructive to your concept, that warranted them doubling your budget?

In my view, someone got it horribly wrong.

If you trusted them & paid for their service upfront, & they didn't deliver on your clear instructions, then I feel that you should be entitled to a reasonable refund, or they must get their act in gear to bring a solution, to justify their premium.

All good in hindsight, but I confess, I would've done what you did, not knowing that engineers could've got it right first shot, & bang on budget.

BIM_Engineer
Valued Contributor

@Any_Mann engineers don't price up projects 
What  I am offering is Preliminary Design Engineering and Data 
helping the Battlers & Punters make INFORMED DECISIONS (which incidentally can be an app away
& I'm hoping Bunnings provides the Material Cost database.)
FYI...Here's the maths
Basic Equation
Total Project Cost= Material Costs + Labour + Plant+ Profit
Re-arranged
Labour + Profit = Total Project Cost - Plant - Material Costs
Most people are happy to pay a fair price for services,labour & profit when they receive the project cost upfront while factoring in Plant & Material costs...HTH

BIM_Engineer
Valued Contributor

Guys can we please avoid professions and stick to the tools needed?
I for one will add Plant and Equipement data to my data models posted in future
thanks
Brad
Valued Contributor

I start with available space, desired internal finish which on standard products will give you sub floor and frame requirements, doors and windows ( checking they will fit in with reaming required), services needed (water, waste, power & aircon), external finish if required, council requirements and costs, materials budget, trades required budget and then you may need pro help to tidy it up if it fits your budget.

I have always gone to council with a site plan, technical drawing with material list and used wind cat 3 and only made complying applications with no problems. I would now add footings to meet clay soils standards.
BIM_Engineer
Valued Contributor

Brad wrote:
I would now add footings to meet clay soils standards.

Why should the client pay extra for whats not required?..

My loft is light framed and designed to support the required loads.

Most clients are sick and tired of upgrade "Sticker Shock Pricing"

After they have paid a deposit in good faith

BTW we are back to @Kermit original complaint

Brad
Valued Contributor

My bad @BIM_Engineer I should of said if required.

BIM_Engineer
Valued Contributor

BIM_Engineer wrote:

A question  asked by potentual new members was what's the "Best way to plan & excecute such a project and what are my options?"

I am sure there are many other questions that prevent (demanding) DIY projects from proceeding..I would love to quantify a list here, please keep it brief

Chris

Back to my original post..

Steps involved/considered before you hire a professional or builder

Back to the loft..Prelim Model is up...

Prelim Loft wall

eg.

Q (Potentual loft owner)..I am not sure,but i would like to do the walling and painting in my 2 week break How does this fit in?

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects