Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dealing with pantry moths

kaylah_rose
Experienced Contributor

Dealing with pantry moths

Hi people of workshop!

I have a query. Apologies if it is on here already, but I could not find it. 

We have been getting quite a lot of small moths roaming around our house and making themselves comfortable. They are very similar looking to the below image.

moths.PNG

We have tried using moth balls to remove them, but they don't seem to do anything and just smell awful. 

Does anyone have any ideas why these would be propping up or how to remove them? We haven't found anything eaten so we not sure why they are hanging around. 

Thanks!

Kay

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Re: Alternatives for removing moths

@kaylah_rose,

Sorry to see you haven't had a response on this problem as yet. Perhaps you could provide us with a little more detail, which might help members. 

I take it you don't have any obvious ways that the moths are getting into the house? And they don't seem to be attracted to anything in particularly inside the house?

Jason

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery
kaylah_rose
Experienced Contributor

Hi @Jason

I really have no idea how they are getting in. I feel like there might be a nest somewhere? I actually have been finding them in the pantry so am currently undergoing a major clean through the pantry and the entire kitchen to try and find the source. 

I did do a bit of googling to see what came up and I found this. https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-get-rid-of-pantry-moths-and-larvae-in-your-kitchen/

Freaked me out a bit, but our pantry has brick walls and I think maybe some eggs were in the grout or something like that? If I could move house I would, but I'll try the cleaning first. The moths haven't been around lately so I think it might be working. 

Has anyone else ever heard of these?!

Kay

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Ah yes @kaylah_rose, if they are pantry moths then they would have probably come in via purchased food. 

We've had them before and they prompted us to move to airtight containers and jars for everything. 

Good luck with the operation. 

Jason

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery
ProjectPete
Valued Contributor

My first thought was pantry moths and they can be a nightmare to get rid of But, based on the ones I've seen/had in Perth they don't look the same.

If they are pantry moths, then like @Jason said, they come in food. Rice, flour, nuts, grains, etc are common. You can get pantry moth traps to attract and kill the living/flying ones but there'll be eggs in you food stuffs still. You need to clear that stuff out "with a fine tooth comb". Depending on what the food is, you can freeze a container (of rice for example) then wash the rice and sift the dead moths/eggs out. Failing that, dump anything they've infested and start over.
kaylah_rose
Experienced Contributor

Thanks @ProjectPete

3 days later and we think we have it complete.

The infestation didn't appear to be too bad, but we threw out nearly everything (being on the cautious side to avoid having to do this again). Coated the entire pantry in bug spray and left overnight. We then used disinfectant and scrubbed every single inch. Our pantries have brick walls so we scrubbed them down twice to remove any left over eggs that might be hiding in the mortar.
I did take your advice and bought pantry moth traps to try and stop them from coming back. 

So much wasted food though!! Devastating. 

Thanks for your help and advice! At least now I can organise my pantry I guess..

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects