Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY rocking chair makeover

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

DIY rocking chair makeover

finished chairs 1.jpg

I feel a little strange saying these rocking chairs were upcycled as I feel like I actually ‘down-cycled them and I LOVE how they turned out. Ignore the surroundings - we are mid-renovation and are yet to paint our house so it's a bit of a mess.

Project Materials 

• Chairs 
  • Paint Stripper
  • Scraper
  • Scraper and blade
  • Paint Roller
  • Timber Oil

Originally I had planned to give them sand and paint them all one colour, but as I sanded, I realised just how beautiful the wood was. I mean, these are old chairs, and the wood has aged beautifully, so to cover them with paint felt like I was doing them a disservice. So instead, I started scraping and stripping them.

IMG_5372.jpgOne chair started.jpg

Step One: Sand

I started with the sander for the flat areas like the hand rests and base

Paint Stripper.jpg

Step Two: Remove Paint from decorative posts.

If I continued with my plan to paint I would have roughly sanded them using a hand sander however as I loved the wood so much I decided to take off the  paint. I thought using a paint stripper was the only option. I started by painting the stripper over the old paint. The results were ok and it was effective in lifting some of the paint, once it bubbled I removed it with a scraper. But in my experience paint stripper takes multiple applications to be effective.

Then I was handed a scraper with a blade and that was it. Not only was this tool effective and fast at removing the paint but it also left some of the undercoat and paint leaving a beautiful aged/ weathered look which I didn’t realise was exactly what I was looking for.

IMG_5373.jpg

Step Three: Figure out the best way to remove the paint

The first chair I used a

• Sander
  • Paint Stripper and scraper
  • Scraper with a blade.

The second chair I used the sander on the arm rests only and used the scraper with the blade on the rest of the chair and it took me half as long!

I was still unsure what to do with the weave – I couldn’t remove that paint so had planned to freshen it up but once I saw how the wood looked the worn paint on the weave looked perfect!!

chairs and timber oil tin.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 9.17.46 pm.png

Step Four: Oil them for protection

As these rocking chairs were going to be left outside I used a decking oil to finish them and protect them. I applied the coat using a roller, let it dry for 24 hours and then applied a second coat.

finished chairs 1.jpg

So in the end I didn’t try to make them look shiny, I made them look perfectly weathered, perfectly aged. I love old furniture and I love the beauty in imperfection and so, for me, these chairs are imperfectly perfect.

Don’t mind the mess! As you know we are still mid renovation and we have started to prep for paint so we have piles of ‘stuff’ everywhere. 

I have a load of upcycled - champagne taste on a beer budget and renovation updates I'll be sharing soon.

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Rocking Chair Makeover

What a fabulous result you've achieved there @Renowayoflife

I must say I, too, am partial to the aged and weathered look. Nothing is quite as intriguing as any object with a story to tell. I think you made the right decision not to re-paint, as you'd be masking all that character.

Many thanks for sharing your beautiful project, and I look forward to seeing what project you tackle next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: DIY Rocking Chair Makeover

Thank you @MitchellMc 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects