Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY kids dress up storage

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

DIY kids dress up storage

My mantra is - never throw out anything. There is always a project around the corner and in my experience, as soon as you throw it out, you will need it.

With the rising costs, we're embarking on a mission to create a homemade Christmas this year. Our goal? To infuse a homemade touch into all our gifts this season, and who better to start with than our kids?

For the past 2 years, most of their toys were stashed away in storage, and while we continue to renovate our home, our 3 kids have found joy in the small things. The house has been in a constant state of change and disorganisation so we really wanted to prioritise their playroom.

They have a wonderful imagination, and we wanted to foster this with a little dress-up zone. I have so many fond memories of my sister and I dressing up and creating ‘shows’ for my parents, Aunts and Uncles and I’m so excited to see what the kids come up with in their new space.

I went with a relatively simple design. We have a number of dresses and outfits that will need a hanging space and I wanted to have a box as the base for stability and extra storage. We had a load of plywood left from other projects so decided to make it from this and add a dowel.

I used a large set square to measure the plywood and draw the outline of the dress up box.

Happy DIYing 

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

Materials

Materials

• 1 Sheet of Ply wood
  • Dowell
  • Primer
  • Paint

Tools

Tools

• Orbital Sander
  • 18GA Nail Gun
  • Drill
  • Wood Glue
  • Circular Saw
  • Table Saw (optional)

Photo 3 The Tools.jpg

Steps

Step 1

Photo 4 .jpg

Cut the Ply wood

I used a circular saw and table saw. Any saw you have would work, depending on your design, this is what we had available.

Photo 6.jpg

Step 2

Pre-drill 

Once the sides were cut I predrilled a hole at the top where the dowel will be installed.

Photo 5.jpg

Step 3

Sanding

Before assembling the dress-up box I sanded each of the pieces with an orbital sander.

Photo 7.jpg

Step 4

Nail Gun

To assemble the dress-up box I ran wood glue along each side and nailed the joints in place. 

Dowell

Once the box and sides were assemble I screwed the dowel to each side, adding the screw through the pre drilled hole.

Paint

I primed and painted the box. I had left over paint from our pantry project  which was a perfect match for this project.

Photo 8.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY kids dress up storage

Nice one Claire (@Renowayoflife) many thanks for sharing.

We've had a couple of similar projects from other community members you might like to check out:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Renowayoflife Nice  project and material re purposing :smile:

Hay I noticed with your wood cutting I try  to adjust saw blade so 5 mm aprox only of saw blade coming through material.  I was  using a  triton table saw with a powerfull  saw spinning  9 1/2 "  blade and it had the blade coming through timber panel 30 mm and the material jambed side ways a  slight amount and  the saw blade and it shot back at me very fast and dangerously I thought my wrist was  broken Yes a  rookie mistake I am sharing in case others reading can by pass my mistake.

I second that although there’s a couple of features of @Renowayoflife ’s saw has that reduce kickback.

For starters there’s the riving knife holding the blade guards down.

There’s also what appears to be blade guard like arms at the back which would hold the board down a bit as well. I’ve never seen this before but I’m liking. Is that aftermarket or does it come with the saw.

Of course no safety feature is worth its salt if the the problem exists between keyboard and chair so to speak. 😂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects