Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. shelves using raw timber

meg_nelly
Growing in Experience

D.I.Y. shelves using raw timber

IMG_2763.jpg

We bought a small older home that had a previous renovation done where they knocked out a wall to extend the kitchen which left an awkward space between windows. I wanted to add in some small open shelves for decorating but that could also be used to hold cups/bowls if I wanted. On checking, there wasn't a stud behind whre I wanted the shelves so I asked my dad to come to help me and teach me how to install shelves using hollow wall anchors. While he was there I also wanted to install a long shelf in a bedroom using the same method so here is what we did. 

• Measure, measure, measure! Make sure you know the exact length and height of the space you are planning for. Draw up a plan so you know exactly what you need. 
  • Took a trip to Bunnings to buy timber, shelf brackets, screws, hollow wall anchors and a wall anchor fixing gun. Luckily I found that cutting a 184mm x 19mm x 2.4mm piece of timber into 3 (2x same small size and 1x long) would be the perfect sizes for what I need for 3 shelves so I bought the timber and took it to the Bunnings cutting area for a Bunnings Team Member to trim it to the measurements I needed. (I'd never used this free service before but found it very handy!) I also found 2 styles of brackets that I liked. We also bought hollow wall brackets, a wall anchor fixing gun and some screws. 

Before and After - kitchen and bedroomBefore and After - kitchen and bedroom

Lots of shelf brackets optionsLots of shelf brackets optionsChosen timberChosen timber

• We went home and my dad helped us install the shelves using the wall anchors to ensure they were straight (always use a spirit level) and could bear enough weight as needed.

I was so happy with the end result and used only a few tools for a unique look. I decided not to stain the pine as i liked the raw look but I could always choose to stain or treat it later. 

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2752.jpgIMG_2769.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: DIY Shelves using raw timber and brackets (using hollow wall anchors)

Hi @meg_nelly,

What a great weekend project! I like that you kept the timber raw because not only do they look great right now, but you are also absolutely right, styles may change so it makes your shelves very versatile. 

Can't wait to see what project you share with us next!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
iveg
Building a Reputation

Re: D.I.Y. shelves using raw timber

Well done, looks great. Pine will start yellowing over time if not stained. I have a chest made from pine, even with a clear varnish over the raw timber it still started yellowing not a look I was really going for. I will now have to remove varnish and go for a darker brown stain like walnut. But that's a project at the bottom of my to do list.

IMG_20230221_073002.jpg

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@meg_nelly shelves look great !!! 😊 @iveg the chest is beautiful 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @meg_nelly 

The shelves look great, if you ever decide to put a protective coating on them, I suggest having a look at Cabot's 500ml Satin Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish. Being a water-based varnish, it will not turn yellow like oil-based varnish. It comes in gloss and satin finish, just remember to use a good quality brush to get a good finish on the timber surface. 

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
iveg
Building a Reputation

Good advice Eric, thank you. I think I used cabots Danish oil. So will try your product when I redo my pine chest.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects