Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Creating an attic storage room

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Creating an attic storage room

So you might remember a post I made in April where I highlighted our work on the bathroom.

I'm not quite ready to show those photos as we're still waiting on the plumber to fit our shower. We do have a sort of functioning bathroom with the bath up and running but we really need the shower now.

But I also showed in that post the installation of our attic stairs. I then hinted that I have some big plans for that area. Well, here is some photos of the beginning of my vision:

IMG_0903.png

IMG_0904.png

IMG_0905.png

I'm surprised that one sheet of ply can cover so much area. It's good to know because I've got two more which should give me a considerable amount of storage.

The other benefit of this is it keeps the stinking Insulfluff under control. It all gets trapped under the ply which should also trap in a fair amount of heat. It should also stop the dust from being spread around the house through the HRV.

My ultimate plan will be to build shelving as well. I'd like to also build a little data cabinet. From that I can feed the internet from one central location and use Cat6 cabling to feed the WiFi.

There is a secret little alcove which I'm planning to turn in a secret storage area to hide valuables.

All in all my plan is coming along nicely.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Creating an attic storage room

Hi @woodenwookie 

Thank you very much for that update, using your attic as storage space is always a great way to maximize the available space in your home. Just a friendly reminder that if you are planning on storing heavy items in that space the ceiling frame must be reinforced to carry that weight. 

We look forward to your next update.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Creating an attic storage room

It won’t be heavy things, just lots of little things. If there were to be anything heavy we’d store those directly over the load bearing walls.

The way the house is designed the beams are pretty strong as well.

But yeah, ultimately it’s just to get annoying boxes out of the way so we can work on the sleep out.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects