Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you DIY roof trusses?

nico1212
Just Starting Out

Can you DIY roof trusses?

Hi all 

just starting to plan a Reno/extension I’ll be completing myself as owner/builder and wanted to know if you are allowed to build your own trusses for roofing etc?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Diy trusses

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nico1212. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing roof trusses.

If you can construct the trusses to standards documented in the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and a structural engineer gives a certificate of compliance, then there is a good chance that your building surveyor will sign off on them. Your trusses will be scrutinised more heavily than a prefab alternative that already comes with certification. Even if you use a suitable construction technique in the BCA, the surveyor might still find it unsuitable.

I'd encourage you to speak with your local council to discuss appropriate construction techniques and what type of compliance certification they'll need, but they might direct you back to the BCA. Also, investigate the cost of prefab trusses. You might find they are only marginally more expensive than constructing them once you factor in the price of an engineer certifying your work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects