Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i save these hardwood floors?

KateDIYhome
Growing in Experience

Can i save these hardwood floors?

Hi everyone,

Just hoping for a bit of advice regarding floors.
I moved into a property where the previous owners did a half-house flip and pulled up the old carpet in a 1970's but left the floors as is, i have attached photos, i used cabots floor polish to give it a shine 2 years ago when i moved in but its faded and now the right side of the house that receives more light has faded and isnt matching, plus there are some damaged areas.

I dont have a huge budget but i was considering finding a floor putty to fix up the cracks, sanding off the paint drips from the previous owners and using Feast Waston floor polish to try and gloss over the imperfections. Do you think this would work? or am i better off doing a bit more work, sanding back areas and applying a stain to darken all areas of flooring to match? Any advice is much appreciated20230120_205659.jpg20230120_205709.jpg20230120_205715.jpg - thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can i save these hardwood floors?

Hello @KateDIYhome

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your hardwood floors.

It seems that the water damage on your floor is a bit extensive. Although sanding will remove the blemishes on your floor it will also remove the sealer. Putting on the Feast Watson polish will not make the finish uniform. I suggest holding off on the floor renovation until you have enough funds to properly renovate the entire floor. I don't recommend doing a half-finished renovation as you'll end up removing it when you're finally able to do a full revamp.

One of the hardest things to do is to try and match an existing polyurethane finish on your timber floor. Time and the environment often change the colour and finish of the seal as you can clearly see in your first picture. If there is no rush to renovate this floor, I suggest waiting until you have adequate funds to do it properly.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wooshka
Making a Splash

Hi @KateDIYhome , i agree with @EricL regarding waiting until you have the funds to do a proper re sand and finish on your floors , i have been through this a few times as well as our current house that had a cosmetic finish to the floors after 3-4 years they need redoing ( after the previous owners)

The finish after a full re sand and seal is worth the wait , and don't skimp on the sealer if your are staying in the house

Hi @KateDIYhome 

Those floors will look like  a million dollars sanded  up.  

Sand them all  back to bare timber and I think you will find the natural  beauty of the wood hard to beat, but you will have the choice of  tinting as you wish.

I dont know  if you  have equipment hire companies in your area or  your budget.  But hiring a proper machine will greatly assist you, The machines are very easy to use. and will fit into most cars.

I would  recomend 24 hour hire so your not rushing s  much.  Once your floor has  high nails punched deeper 1mm . Using wood putty is optional depending on the  look your after rustic  leave nail holes.  Finshed fill holes.

Pick a hard wearing sealer. for longer  floor life

But a floor sander  and wall  edger package at Kennards  will cost in the region of  Sand  paper extra per sheet. Get a  few spare and refund on unused.

145.00 4 hours
$180.00  24 hours (1 day)
$538.00  Week (7 days)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KateDIYhome,

It's great to see that @Jewelleryrescue have offered advice on picking up a floor sander. I thought I'd let you know that we also hire floor sanders and edgers. Including the cost of hiring the sander and purchasing your floor coating, resurfacing your floors could cost as little as a few hundred dollars. Looking at that water staining, I'd agree with the other members that sanding is likely the best approach.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

KateDIYhome
Growing in Experience

Hi everyone -

Apologies for the delayed response,

Thank you all so much for the advice and input, its very helpful!

Kitchen has just been finished so i will start looking at the best option for the floor fix- thanks agian!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KateDIYhome 

Would it be possible to request for a picture of the kitchen update? I'm sure our members would be keen to see what you've modified in your kitchen. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your flooring project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects