Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix a broken sewer pipe cover?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

How to fix a broken sewer pipe cover?

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

I had a plumber out yesterday who needed to do a jet blast of the pipes as I had issues with the toilet / gurgling / shower not draining.

He was looking for a specific pipe outside my house to use which I didn’t have so he removed the toilet and went through there.

Unfortunately with a pipe outside, he ripped off the base / cover and now there’s a hole …

He tried to put tape over it but obviously it wouldn’t stick and now has suggested a 100ml PVC cap. Will this cause a trip hazard? What he removed was flat with the floor.

the cracked cement / rocks was also a result of him. 

Amy other suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.

IMG_1108.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: pipe covers

Hi @Newgreenthumb,

Thank you for your question.

I would suggest that you contact the plumber and request they come back and fix the pipe that they've damaged. Having worked in construction, the expectation set in place by my bosses, was that you return everything you've damaged in the process of a repair, to an equivalent or better condition than before.

There are options to cap the pipe such as Holman 100mm PVC DWV Push On Cap, but they will need some further concrete to be removed from around the outside of the pipe for it to sit flush with the concrete.

If you wanted to cap the pipe yourself, I am happy to assist further, but I would start by contacting the plumber and requesting they come back to fix the damage.

Let me know if you'd like further help.

Jacob

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@JacobZ @Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your feedback.

I have reached out to him and asked he return but he assured me the cap will suffice. 
I did see the push on cap you linked but upon researching it does require more work. Jackhammer concrete etc from my understanding.
I was hoping to cap it myself ? But I’m unable to cut the concrete etc and was looking for a simpler solution. 

thank you again.

Hi @Newgreenthumb,

The only made for purpose solution I can see besides chipping away the concrete to install the push on cap, is to remove the rest of the existing cap, insert a 100mm Threaded Access Coupling and attach a 100mm Threaded Access Cap, but this would raise the pipe from the ground creating a trip hazard like you said earlier.

Allow me to tag some knowledgeable members to see if they have any ideas, @Dave-1, @Noyade, @TedBear.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @Newgreenthumb and Jacob. @JacobZ 

Hard to tell from the photo - but is there enough room for the jaws of a super-sized pair of multi-grips to grip, twist and remove the cap?

(Just a break from painting thought)

Cheers.

20240428_145900.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Newgreenthumb 

I am afraid I agree with @JacobZ 's explanation. The plumber should return it to the same state or as close to possible to it. I would be contacting the company or the department of fair trading if they dont want to rectify it. So for the time being I wouldnt try any repairs on it as it would muddy the water.

What did the cover he ripped off look like? And would it be possible to cut a round piece of plastic and glue it to the surface (bevil the edgegs) to lesson the trip hazard?

Dave

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@JacobZ @Dave-1 @Noyade 

thank you very much for your time.

I will be calling the plumber again tomorrow and I did go to my local Bunnings to get a cap.

Im not sure  if it’s clear in this photo, but there’s no cap / lip to turn as Noyade suggested. Looking inside the pipe there is no edge to turn. 

I have a door at over it at the moment incase it rains, 

IMG_1120.jpegIMG_1119.jpeg

I can definitely glue a round piece of plastic as it looks like there was plastic before with some grey tape under? 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Newgreenthumb 

If you remove all the stuff off the top of the inspection pipe you may find it looks like this

Holman 100mm PVC DWV Bolted Trap Screw 

If thats the case then you could purchase a new lid for it and be done with it. If its not the case you would still need to remove the concrete that is over it to smooth the lid before you can stick a piece of plastic over it all. It looks very similar to my inspection pipe fitting. The fitting fits inside the pvc pipe with the cap over the whole lot.

Dave

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@Dave-1 @Thank you for your reply. 

yes I saw this when having a look.

when I try put my hand in and feel along the pipe, there is no edge it’s just all flat. Not sure that makes sense. 

but you’re saying take the top off and then this bottled tap screw, will slide in the pipe? Sorry di that’s a stupid question. 

That's the general idea @Newgreenthumb. Typically these access ports have some type of method to access them and the above one mentioned by @Dave-1 uses screws.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects