How do I improve this outdoor deck?

bronte7
Just Starting Out

How do I improve this outdoor deck?

IMG_5824.jpeg

IMG_5823.jpeg

IMG_5822.jpeg

IMG_5821.jpeg

So I am going to having to take some of the bolts out of the railing to see if they need new ones as it is very wobbly atm then maybe spray paint it a new colour I also want to have something to give the area a bit of privacy as you can very clearly see into the next backyard so they can very clearly see you I’m definitely going to wash the chairs and get some proper covers for them but I was also wondering if there was a way to make my shade sail waterproof would laying a tarp on the top (secured Down of course) work any ideas would be awesome. If I was to have a blind like curtain privacy thing how would I put that in

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I improve this outdoor deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bronte7. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about refreshing the look of a balcony.

Painting the railing sounds like a great start. Perhaps you might like to take a look at some of our screening options too. It's important to keep compliance in mind and ensure the screening is non-climable. Screening along the fencing would certainly allow some privacy, especially whilst seated. 

Screen blinds sound like a good option, too. They'll require you to install horizontal timber between the outer posts and the house. Once this timber is mounted, you can install something similar to a Windoware 1500 x 2100mm Black Outdoor Polycanvas Roll Up Blind. I installed a bunch of these to screen off my neighbours, and they've been extremely effective in restoring our privacy.

It would be quite difficult to waterproof your shadecloth. A tarp on top could work, but you need to be aware that you'd create a giant sail that will capture the wind. A sail increases the force on fixings even further than a shade sail, so it would be best to assess your mounting points to ensure they are adequate.

A small two-burner BBQ would be terrific for this space. You might also like to consider creating a breakfast bar off the railing and adding a couple of bar stools. It would be a neat space for a morning coffee. Creating the bar, could be as simple as bolting a timber panel directly to the top of the railing. Again, you must verify that it won't allow children to climb over the rail.

Let me tag @diy_hausdesigns for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

How do you think I would go about mounting timber for the blinds

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bronte7,

You would need to attach a suitably sized piece of timber to span between the posts that support the shade sails. I'd suggest something like this 140x35 H3 Framing Pine would be a good option. This could be attached to the posts using batten screws of a suitable length.

As the posts are kicked out at an angle and likely not square to the houses, attachment will involve calculating angles and could be a bit difficult.

Given the complex angles of attachment and the risk of fall from height, I suggest contacting a professional to install the timber and blinds for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects