Workshop
Ask a question

How to make decking flush with pool coping?

vasta
Just Starting Out

How to make decking flush with pool coping?

Hi team, was just wanting some advice/solutions to fixing my deck edging against my pool. Not sure if it was bad workmenship from the people who installed it but just want to get it sorted and make it look good. It is trex decking that is layed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

7E53C0B9-D0CE-4A41-8F19-D528151622E0.jpeg

0AB268E4-11DA-4F4D-BF0A-CCD75F6AC294.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: decking not layed flush with pool coping

Hi @vasta,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a solution to bring these boards down flush with the pool coping outside of removing all of the boards and planing the frame back. You could put a chamfer on the edge of the boards to smooth the transition from the deck board to the pool edge, but this would only lessen the lip slightly, it would not bring the whole deck down to the same level. 

This is definitely something that the deck installer should be rectifying. Assuming there is a construction contract in place, there are avenues you can take to force the rectification works be carried out.

Let me tag some of our helpful members for their thoughts, @Dave-1, @Noyade @TedBear1.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @vasta 

As @JacobZ has mentioned the original installer should be rectifying it at their cost. However if its before your time that may be a harder solution. JacobZ's suggesting about chamforing the edge of the support (removing the planks first) and then re-installing them is the way I did my deck (concrete pool edge wasnt as level as I expected) so I shave around 5mm off over a two foot slope, you cant see it or feel it but it worked. Think of removing a long thin wedge off the support beam that will match the height of the pool edge. 

I also used some more lengths of timber mounted on the side of the crossbeams at an angle to smooth the transition. Between the two methods I was able to disguise the difference in height of the existing concrete.

01 15-04-2015 pool deck.jpg

If you look on the right the floor board looks a little high

02 15-04-2015 pool deck.jpg

My solution was to attach another crossbeam and bolt it to the original one at a slight angle, Chamforing the highlevel off in the middle

03 15-04-2015 pool deck.jpg

Joining the level crossbeam and the slightly sloped one together

04 15-04-2015 pool deck.jpg

After the Chamforing and the slope was completed.

05 15-04-2015 pool deck.jpg

You cant tell the difference as the slope is over a wide area, Even today you still cant tell its "out"

I have not used the boards you have but the idea shoould still be able to work if you went down that path.

Dave

Nice work @Dave-1 👌

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects