Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my deck a faded colour after decking oil?

anshb
Finding My Feet

Why is my deck a faded colour after decking oil?

Hi,

I made a low level deck with merbau boards and used applied 2 coats of 

Cabot's Aquadeck (after prep and clean).

https://www.bunnings.com.au/cabot-s-4l-merbau-aquadeck-exterior-decking-oil_p1520084 

Now the deck looks dull as compared to original colour, there is no sine or freshness. 

Any suggestions? What could be the issue?

20240114_092643~2.jpg

20240126_191627~3.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why is my deck a faded colour after decking oil?

Hi @anshb,

I think the issue here is potentially that you preferred the original look. From my experience, the oiled deck appears nourished and more uniform. When you apply oil, it gives the timber a darker colour, and this is indicative of a nourished deck. If you prefer lighter tones, I can see how disappointing this was. However, the timber can not be left in that state despite how much you liked the previous look. It will continue to get lighter and, within a year, begin to discolour, stain, dry out, and turn grey. An unnourished deck has a matter of years before it begins to crack and warp, so it's very important to oil your deck on a regular basis to protect your investment. I'm unaware of any products that could be applied that would retain the look you found appealing.

From someone who views a lot of decks, I can say that your oiled deck looks sensational. Check out some of the stunning deck projects our members have contributed for comparison: Top 10 most popular deck projects.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Why my deck is faded in colour after decking oil?

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the advice, we will definitely oil it. We are also very happy with deck.  It used to look like this

IMG-20231227-WA0001.jpg

And now

20240126_154559.jpg

20240126_211103.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why is my deck a faded colour after decking oil?

That's sensational, @anshb! Really fantastic work. I'm sure you're very pleased with the results, as the deck has totally transformed the area.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects