Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why doesn't Ring camera sense movement?

allison21
Just Starting Out

Why doesn't Ring camera sense movement?

Hi, we have two ring cameras operational in our home. One is located at our front door and the other at our back door. They are the wireless type. They both work exceptionally well. We wanted to install a third ring camera on our garage door but for some reason the ring camera will not pick up any movement of people on our pavers driveway. Would anyone know what the problem is for a security camera not sensing movement on a driveway?  Thanks so much.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: ring camera

Hi @allison21 

Ring are ok cameras I will  list abunch of possibilities After that you best to contact there support line and ask them to help you as an account customer as  you are paying  $150  per annum to run those 3 cameras and store footage,

1 The  New camera may need its user settings adjusted to do smart reporting  Contact Ring support if needed

Ie  sensitivity,  Your  camera  may have a time period reports are not posted like  when your home on the weekend.   some cameras  can detect between pets people cars and other movement. Or all that is turned off

2 The new cameras frquently need there software update (BIOS)  Contact Ring support if needed .  Often firmawre updates are mostly automatic you just have to press start.

3 if the camera is pointing into the sun it may have issues detecting properly at times

4 .  new cameras can be faulty.  Try swapping your other camera to that location and the new camera to its old  spot. If  new camerastill not working after full firmware upgrades might be a dud.

My advices is very general best to  talk directly to ring as your  paying  for their support. 

Hope its fixed soon.

Thank you so much for your helpful thoughts

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @allison21. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Ring cameras.

Some great suggestions there from @Jewelleryrescue. If you can identify the Ring camera you've installed, that might help our members troubleshoot. Also, it will allow me to check your manual to see if there are any obvious reasons in the troubleshooting area. I like the idea of swapping another camera to that location to see if it's the specific area that's a problem. Here's a helpful guide: Motion detection for Ring devices.

Does this new location have good WiFi coverage? 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects