Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which type of shade should I install in my garden?

Valerie2
Just Starting Out

Which type of shade should I install in my garden?

I need a shady space in my garden. It can get very windy. Would you recommend a gazebo, cantilever umbrella or a shade sail? Thank you

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Shade

Hey @Valerie2 , depends if you want it to be completely rain proof or not, but I'd say Shade Sail, 100%. Gives enough shade to cool you down but keeps enough light in to feel nice on the skin. It was a pretty easy setup for us. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shade

Hello @Valerie2

Thanks for sharing your question about installing a shade in your garden. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area so that our members can assess where you want to install the shade? We can then make recommendations on which shade to install. 

Between the three shades that you mentioned the cantilever umbrella is the most likely to get pulled away in high winds. The gazebo if not mounted properly will also get damaged in high winds. The shade sail however if anchored correctly will provide shade and still allow wind to pass through preventing heat from getting trapped underneath. 

If you need assistance in posting the photos, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Which type of shade should I install in my garden?

Personally, I would vote for the cantilever umbrella if you have a deck or a slab you can bolt it onto @Valerie2. It's great being able to move the umbrella around as the sun moves position during the day. 

Looking forward to seeing some photos of the space as Eric suggested, and learning more about what your needs are. Is the shade so you can spend more time outdoors with friends and family, or is it to protect some plants from the harsh sun?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects