Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to use for verandah post?

gregmw
Getting Established

What to use for verandah post?

FBD13754-9F51-47BE-AD8B-20F7C484F322.jpeg

What timber should I use for an old houses  120 x 120 verandah post to replace the existing hardwood one 

the corners of the post will need to be chamfered to match the existing then painted dark green 

I see all the FJ /Laminated treated & pre primed pine posts say they should be painted in a lighter colour , and I don’t know how they stand last with any  kind of machining/chamfering on the corners etc with the finger joins and treatment 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what to use for verandah post

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gregmw. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing posts.

It would be best to stick with a similar timber, so I'd suggest you look at the 115mm Hardwood Merbau Posts. These posts are finished to 115mm and obviously 5mm less than the current post. Alternatively, you could go for a 140mm post and cut it down to the correct size. 

You could switch to Pine posts, though you'll need to investigate whether they are suitable to bear the weight of the balcony and roof structure above. With laminated timber, there's always a chance that it can be torn out when machining. However, I think you'll find that there won't be an issue with sharp router bits. The hardwood posts are likely to be less susceptible to any tear-out, though.

Given that you are replacing a structural post, if you are not familiar with such works or are not confident in completing this project yourself, I'd recommend you enlist the services of a professional. If you do complete this work yourself, ensure the balcony is adequately supported with props before the post is removed. We have Acrow Props for hire if needed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gregmw
Getting Established

Thank you 

yes the post is only holding a very small portion of a colour-bond roof - so I don’t think it would  would be a problem as far as being able to support the weight 

I was after something that is durable and won’t shrink,twist ,warp or rot away too  quick 

i was also concerned about why the Fj primed posts should be painted a light colour too 

thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gregmw,

I've had a look through our LOSP FJ Primed Pine Posts and can't see a reference to them needing to be painted in light colours, though I could have missed it. Could you please provide the link to the product you're referring to?

These posts are rated for structural use and are kiln-dried so are unlikely to shrink, twist or warp if installed correctly and coated appropriately. They also have an LOSP H3 treatment making them suitable for exterior use and resistant to decay and rot.

Mitchell

gregmw
Getting Established

042097E8-C2D3-4156-B86D-539DE896EB78.jpeg

 this is from the Design-pine product 

I assume it would be the same ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for that info, @gregmw. It's allowed me to find a similar recommendation from our supplier Woodhouse. "Dark colours could have the potential to increase temperature and lead to resin bleeds."

It appears the concern they have is that due to the possibility of resin being present in the Pine timber, it could heat up when painted with dark colours and expand and bleed out the surface. This could compromise the painted coating. The current green would be considered a dark colour.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects