Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What plywood can be used outside?

Graeme50
Getting Established

What plywood can be used outside?

Hello, I'm looking to build a wall using plywood (for kids' ball games).  I believe that I can either use "marine plywood" or "external plywood".  Bunnings sells marine plywood and "premium plywood" (in different grades - eg. "BC grade").  It is not clear whether or not the premium plywood is suitable for outdoors.  It says general construction use but that still doesn't tell me if it can get rained on or not.  Does someone from Bunnings have an answer they can share with me?  Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plywood for outside

Hello @Graeme50 

For outdoor projects, I recommend using Marine grade plywood. These types of plywood are rated for exterior use and is able to withstand the weather. Can you please tell us a little bit more about your project? How big is it and will you be requiring a great deal of plywood?

To increase its ability to withstand the weather, I suggest painting the plywood inside and outside. If it is mobile and light enough to be carried, it would extend its life if it can be brought into the shade when the children are playing with it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Graeme50
Getting Established

Thank you Eric for your quick reply.  Marine grade it is.  I haven't even started measuring up what the project will look like.  I can see Bunnings has approx. 2.4m x 1.2m marine plywood.  I may end up getting two of those to make a 2.4m square.  I will also make a note around painting it.

Thanks again.  Kind regards, Graeme.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Graeme50 

Please make sure to post a photo update. I'm sure our members will be keen to see progress shots as you assemble your project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects