Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint can be used on plastic garden edging?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

What paint can be used on plastic garden edging?

20240322_194747.jpg

Hi brain trust, 

Want to paint the garden edging in white, is it possible ? or not a good idea...?

Thank you for any advice

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint can be used on plastic ?

Hello @ivanptr 

I understand what you are trying to achieve. Having a white garden edging would look nice, if it did not rain. Unfortunately, as soon as it rains very hard the raindrops will hit the soil causing it to splatter onto your white garden edging turning it muddy brown. 

Plus, mud particles will attach themselves to the surface of the garden edging making it very visible in the white background. This is why most of the garden edging is coloured in terracotta and dark grey. 

Generally, I would recommend using a Dulux 325g Duramax Plastic Primer Spray Paint. I would still recommend scuffing the surface of the item before applying the primer over the top. You can then choose an exterior paint of your choice.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

20240323_132558.jpg

@EricL 

We intend to paint the retaining wall and fence in Dulux Domino and install weed matting, then spread white gravel on the slope to create a contrasting effect with the paint.

1) We require a narrow edging to lay horizontally to prevent the gravel from sliding off the slope during rainfall. However, we're uncertain which type of edging would be easier for us to paint to match the gravel. The timber edging at Bunnings seems somewhat large and tall.😅

2) Perhaps we should opt for woven weed matting instead of plastic? Plastic weed matting with a smooth surface may not be able to hold the gravel effectively on the steep slope.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

It might be worth digging, say, 10cm of soil away from the back of the retaining wall. That way, the wall itself will retain the gravel instead of having to install an edging.  In the same fashion the timber edging can be set down into the soil behind the wall as to not be so imposing.

Depending on the slope's grade, weed matting in any form won't do much to stop gravel from migrating down the steep slope. Products such as Strol 0.5m² PebbleLock Permeable Pavers would be far more effective at that job.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects