Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What fuel do i use for my victa super carcher lawn mower?

timtam015
Just Starting Out

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: what fuel do i use for my victa super carcher lawn mower

Good morning @timtam015 

I just seached for lawnmower with "victa super carcher lawn mower" from Bunnings.

I got this as first suggestion victa 18 super mulcher petrol lawn mower 

If you scroll down to "specifications" it tells you what type of mower fuel to use.

I am not 100% I have your mower :smile: but you will recognise the model you have and then take a look at the specifications.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What fuel do i use for my victa super carcher lawn mower?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @timtam015. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lawn mower fuel.

All lawnmowers take the same kind of fuel. They use unleaded petrol, the same as your car. I recommend using regular or premium, and although most mowers specify you can use E10, I personally prefer regular.

You only see a different fuel for two-stroke mowers, where you mix the oil into the fuel, but they still use regular unleaded. The Victa Super Catcher is a 4-stroke machine, so no oil mixing is required.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Mitchell thanks for the help! I just poured 91 into my vices super catcha but it still doesn’t seem to be running. It was passed on to me after my relative didn’t need it anymore after 2 years. I’ve checked oil and it seems to be fine, so now I’m not sure what else to do to make it run again.

It is quite hard to diagnose issues through text @timtam015.

To start with (simple things), do you have the throttle in the right start position? It will either be full forward or full back, more likely back. Have you primed the mower by pressing the primer bulb three times? Is the fuel you're using within a year old?

Does it start up at all? Blow white smoke?

Failing the above working, have you tipped the mower over at all? This can fill the air filter with oil and stop it from starting. It's a good idea to check the filter anyway, as it could be blocked. You'll find the air filter on the side of the mower, and a flathead screwdriver can be used to remove the cover.

Next, check your spark plug to see if it needs replacing. I'd find that unlikely on a two-year-old machine.

Let me know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Making a Splash

The Victa Super Catcher Mower is powered by the Briggs & Stratton 550 series 4 stroke, I found these engines to be maintenance heavy in part due to the all plastic carburetor (and speed governor), that aside you need 3 things to fire it up, compression, fuel & spark.

* With the spark plug removed, cover the hole where it should be with you finger and pull the starter cord is there air pressure?

* With the spark plug removed ground the electrode end to the body (spark plug lead attached), pull the starter cord, did you see the spark?

* Replace the spark plug and prime the mower (with the fuel bulb), go through the starting procedure, remove the spark plug is it damp?

No to any of the three tests above will help narrow down the sub-system having difficulty. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects