Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What driveway paint to use?

Ryan1980
Getting Established

What driveway paint to use?

I have used Dunlop resurfacer and sealer previously on my driveway before and was happy with the result. What would be the best product available now as it’s no longer in stock. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: driveway paint

Hi @Ryan1980,

Is this for the same driveway you coated previously or a new one? If it's the old one, what condition is the sealer in? Has it worn away entirely to reveal the Dunlop resurfaced, or is it partially intact? If you place a few drops of water on the surface, are they absorbed after 30 minutes, or do they continue to sit on the surface?

If it is a new driveway, what surface will the coating be going over?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: driveway paint

Hi Mitchell

its the old concrete driveway and we have had our landscaping re done so it has gone through some wear and tear and some parts it is back to its original state. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What driveway paint to use?

Hi @Ryan1980,

It's important to know what the surface is when coating it. So, some parts are bare concrete, and some still have the Dunlop sealer on it? You'll need to do the droplet test over the drive to determine if any sealer is left.

The issue with re-sealing with any penetrative product is that if there is still sealer on an area blocking the surface's porosity, the sealer won't penetrate. When it doesn't penetrate, it sits on top of the surface and can cause issues. Either Dunlop 4L Natural Look Sealer or Bastion 15L Matte Concrete Sealer would be products to use, but they must go over a porous surface. If your surface has failed the porosity test and beads water, then you'd need to strip the remaining sealant with something like Xylene. Remember your PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses, gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

I will need to strip back and re seal. 
what paint brand would you recommend after sealing 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ryan1980,

Paint is designed to go onto bare concrete, so you wouldn't seal before doing so. All our concrete paints are suitable for your purpose. Berger are of exceptional quality.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects