Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sodium percarbonate not properly washed off before oiling

Brendan1888
Getting Established

Sodium percarbonate not properly washed off before oiling

If sodium percarbonate wasn't washed properly off a small area of deck before oiling with natural decking oil, would that be the cause of that area looking "black"?

Is it likely to go back to normal if re-sanded and re-oiled?

Brendan1888
Getting Established

Re: Sodium percarbonate not properly washed

Dark area with Cabot's Aquadeck Natural Decking OilDark area with Cabot's Aquadeck Natural Decking Oil

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Brendan1888 

I am currntly sanding my deck back so when i saw your photo my first thought was "They have sanded up to that diagonal line ish" So my first question is, was that area sanded back to timber or are you recoating over the existing timber/stain/oil?

It kinda looks like someone has sanded part but not all of the timber? I have a privacy screen mde from Jarrah and it looks to be the same colouring even, the slat that I have sanded has come out way lighter (even lighter then the ones of yours onthe left) so thats what makes me think "has it been sanded yet?'

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Brendan1888 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your deck.

It appears that not all of the old deck coating was sanded off. Even if you were to wash the surface with a cleaner with a high sodium percarbonate content, the same result would have happened. Old oil stain and sealers must be sanded off completely before applying anything new. I recommend using a floor sander and sanding the surface back to timber and re-apply your sealer.

I suggest having a look at this featured project - Deck strip, sand and oil by @DIY_Dan. It's an excellent example of how to strip and re-seal your deck.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brendan1888
Getting Established

Thanks for that.....back to sanding!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Brendan1888 

Please keep us updated with your progress, if you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects