Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I waterproof premium dressed Pine slats for campervan subfloor?

hayleylora
Just Starting Out

Should I waterproof premium dressed Pine slats for campervan subfloor?

Hello! I'm converting a campervan and have used premium dressed pine slats to start my subfloor. Should these be waterproofed in case there will be any condensation under the floor? 

I will be insulating with sheep's wool, so hoping that will help absorb any moisture. 

Any advice much appreciated!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: should dressed pine be waterproofed?

Good afternoon @hayleylora 

Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: Would there be a chance you have a photo to show the subfloor? My first thought is yes as dressed pine would probarly like to absorb water. If the insulating wool gets wet I dont think it will dry particulary easy. Are you planning on having something between the insulation and the ground/road? 

And I just re-read your question. A campervan as in a van :smile: lol My mistake. I would still paint/oil the timber as it will want to absorb anything but less so inside a van. Insulation wise I would be using the wool like you. 

Converting a van is something I would like to do, Hopefully we will see a bnch of your photos as you continue along the conversion. :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I waterproof premium dressed Pine slats for campervan subfloor?

Hello @hayleylora 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your dressed pine flooring for your caravan.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to protect Plywood caravan floor? by @Mark0303. I definitely recommend waterproofing the timber floor framing. This will protect it from moisture and prevent the wood from getting damaged. I suggest having a look at Gripset Betta Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber.

It's a versatile product and can be watered down to allow you to paint flat surfaces. It's water-based and does not carry strong odours when compared to chemical based sealers. I recommend painting the timber first with a nice thin coat so that you can get into all the hidden corners. Once that first coat cures, paint it again with an undiluted mixture to give you a solid seal.

It sounds like a fantastic project. Please make sure to post a photo of the caravan. I'm sure our members would be keen to see the progress you are making.

Let me call on our experienced members @twocutekelpies, @Peggers, and @FloTheCaravan, to see if they have any suggestions.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your caravan.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects