Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pergola build

Baggs
Having an Impact

Pergola build

Hey, another project I've been working on is extending our alfresco with a pergola.

The idea was to build a pergola and then put a policarb roof on it then build a bbq shed at the end as well.

I built the whole structure over 3 days on my Christmas break and have only just put the fascia, gutter and roof on.

Im just waiting for some flashings to be bent up then this part of the project will be finished.

I started out fitting the patio brackets to the existing roof. This was the part I was dreading the most but all went well. Then fitted up the first post closest to the existing alfresco then propped up the front and side beams.

Once all level I was able to setup the rest of the posts and bolt them down.

20221230_131006.jpg20221230_175011.jpg20221229_171728.jpg

I Painted most of the timber before starting the build and it made it so much easier later on.

Once the outside structure was up I started fitting the internal beams and screwing them off with bugles.

20221231_161321.jpg20221231_173952.jpg

We would of loved to not put a roof over it as it just looks so good but it rains to much here to leave it.

Once this part was all done I was able to measure up the policarb sheets, gutter and fascia to get them ordered.

I wanted the fascia and gutter to flow on from the existing roof so it would look like its always been there. ill fine a pic of this later and upload it.

To set the battens ups the roof I just ran a string line to set my fall and ripped each batten down to the height's needed and screwed the sheets down.

20221231_173923.jpg20221231_173952.jpg20230105_182130.jpg20230521_141630.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Pergola build

@Baggs 

The pergola certainly blends in nicely with your existing area. I know that feeling of dread well when you are figuring out how to do something :smile: I like the way the mind sifts throught ideas and how to's to figure it out. Definently added to the usable space without loosing any views! 

I certainly think I would have taken longer to do the same lol :smile: Nice work.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Baggs 

What a great looking pergola, it blends in so well with your home. I see that you've used T Blade Support Posts, was there a particular reason you chose this type of support? Would it be possible for you to post a close-up photo of the T Blade Support Posts? I'm sure our members would be keen to see how you mounted the posts to your concrete slab.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Wow you've really set the bar high for your neighbours!  It's a fantastic job ... 👏👏 Congratulations!

(and doing it in December ... I bet that first beer after completion was the best one ever!) 😂

Baggs
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL ,

Thank you. I finished the roof off on Saturday with fitting the flashings.

I went with the "Wesfab 75 x 75 x 200 Blade Stirrup Post Support" and fixed down with 100mm concrete bolts purely because the concrete slab was already done. I've got some colorbond sheet metal bent up to cover the stirrup and fixings at the bottom of the post too.

Cheers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects