Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paint suggestions for cubby house slide?

ReneeH
Just Starting Out

Paint suggestions for cubby house slide?

Hoping to get advice on appropriate paint for a cubby house slide. Had used White Knight but chipping away quickly. Any suggestions on the most appropriate paint and if it needs to be sealed.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cubby House Slide

Hello @ReneeH

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your cubby house slide.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the slide? This will give our members a chance to assess the condition of the slide. We can then make recommendations on how to repaint it. Is it made of plastic or metal and how long have you had it? Any other information you can share about the slide would be very much appreciated.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ReneeH
Just Starting Out

Apologies Eric - that info would definitely be helpful.

The slide is brand new from Bunnings and made of plastic.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ReneeH

Thank you very much for the added information. I'm so sorry to be asking for more information, I've placed photos of the available slides at the store, can you please tell me which one, in particular, looks like the one you purchased? 

You've also mentioned that it is brand new. These slides are made from polyethylene plastic construction and don't need to be painted. The only slide that has a steel frame on it is the slide with a steel ladder attached to it. But the steel ladder is powder coated and does not need to be painted. 

These slides are made to be tough and smooth so painting them will be extremely difficult and anything you use on its surface will just peel off. Any other information you can share with us as to why the slide needs to be painted would be very much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

ReneeH
Just Starting Out

864FC495-6538-47C7-8DD4-422A08C3A90E.jpeg

Hi Eric - I’ve uploaded a photo of the one purchased. Reason for painting is because our local stores plastic slides were very faded and also wanted it to match the cubby house as well. I was hoping someone might know if there was a good quality paint that would work or if it might require a seal if we paint.

Thanks

Renee

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ReneeH

Thank you for posting the picture of the slide you purchased. I suggest removing all the White Knight paint that you've placed on the slide with a Pro Renovator 100mm Plastic Scraper. Once the slide is clean and back to its original form, I recommend using Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White to prime the surface of the slide. This particular primer is designed to go onto difficult-to-paint surfaces. I propose a minimum of two coats and make sure to give it enough time to cure before you paint over it.

Once the primer has cured properly, I propose using Dulux 4L Aquanamel High Gloss White Enamel Paint. This is a hard-wearing paint and is often used on doors, skirting boards and window frames. Because it will be used on the slide, it will eventually wear out and a new coat will need to be applied. Please note that the top coat must be sun-dried and solid before using the slide, if used too early the paint will chip and tear.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the slide ready for use.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects