Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor table using Merbau fence panel

daniel4
Having an Impact

Outdoor table using Merbau fence panel

outdoor5.jfif

Hi All.

I was inspired by this Custom Industrial Table  by @ogosh for my outdoor / backyard deck. 

Contrary to @ogosh situation, I could not source any good quality of this Pine Sleeper. (cupping or crook). Therefore I went with merbau fence panel Merbau Fence Panel

And frankly, I am a bit intimidated while working with cupping timber  👻

Earlier I built a low level deck and encountered many difficulties with cupping pine and deck timber.

But lessons learned, for sure.😃

I added bearers on top of leg table to line up with the table leg hole 3x 2 holes per leg.

It added approximately 40 mm of total table height but still maintain a reasonable height when sitting on the bench. 

outdoor3.jfif  

Completed by placing the Merbau Panel on top of bearers and secured it with bolt and nuts.

outdoor2.jfif

Placed in the deck with 2x Mimosa Merbau Bench  .

outdoor5.jfif

Thank you and please let me know any feedback.

Regards, 

Daniel

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor Table with Merbau Panel

Hello @daniel4 

Thank you so much for sharing assembly photos of your Merbau outdoor table project. The table looks superb and the long chairs you've built are equally as impressive. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the long chairs from the side so that our members can see how you assembled it?

Your new table and chairs look beautiful and blend in so well with your decking.

Any other information you can share about the set assembly would be very much appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daniel4
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL 

Thank you for your feedback.

About the bench

These 2x benches are ready-made item and purchased from Bunning Store. I/N: 0266925.

Basically I did not build it, just a simple assembly as the box comes with detail instruction.

I picked up this bench because it has the same color with the merbau panel (table).

Daniel.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Wonderful project, @daniel4 and many thanks for sharing the details on the benches.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Mitchell

ogosh
Having an Impact

Re: Outdoor table using Merbau fence panel

Wow @daniel4 

That looks awesome, glad to ahve provided some inspiration.

You might have unknowingly returned the favour, as given the twisting of the sleepers we used, we've been thinking about going back to the Merbau panel.

How is the stability of the table using the bearers and the panel?

How does it flex and move or not, given your leg spacing?

Awesome effort, it looks great!

daniel4
Having an Impact

Thank you @ogosh

I am using 42 x 18 mm Merbau Screening for these bearers.  

Table is steady and not wobbly. Not only because this Merbau screening is hardwood but also each leg has 3x 2 holes ( Total 12 bolt + Nut connections between leg and bearers )

At this stage I don't see any flex. Given it is just only few weeks, I will still need to observe it for next few months or so.

However, in case this panel is bending,  I am thinking to add additional support in the mid of the table.

My idea something like below for additional support.

Credit picture to  @softwareburnout  for their project in  https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Featured-Projects/Hardwood-outdoor-table/ta-p/124342 

outdoor7.png

regards, 

Daniel 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daniel4 

Thank you for the update, I'm in agreement with you that it needs to be observed long term to find out if any twisting will occur. Please make sure to post an update if you decide to proceed with your modification. I'm sure our members will be keen to see how you do it.

Eric

minklet
Building a Reputation

Hi @daniel4 , any update to this nearly 6 months on? How's the table holding up?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @minklet 

Let me tag @daniel4 to make sure they see your question. It has been a few months now and I am curious to find out if there has been any change to the Merbau table. Are you planning on building something similar? If you are, please make sure to create a new post for that project. I'm sure our members will be keen to see how you'll be designing your table.

Eric

minklet
Building a Reputation

Yeah I was considering it, just want to make sure it will last in the weather. It would be under a covered balcony, but gets a lot of wind and sun. Rain not so much of an issue. 

In case we don't hear back from Daniel, any suggestions to prevent bowing/warping if I was to use this fence panel? I was also going to use merbau decking to create benches in a similar fashion (precast legs, bracing across the top)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects