Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need professional advice for building low-level deck

Carlvin
Finding My Feet

Need professional advice for building low-level deck

Hi, I'm building a low deck soon.  The design basically is to have a 2-45x140mm bearer with a post base at every 1300mm centre to centre.  Footing dimension is at 300x300x150+(depth).  The bearer seats on the post base and has a vertical clearance of 50mm - 200mm from the ground as it slopes towards the drain.  I'm using H3 treated pine for to all my timber.  Above the bearer is a 45x90mm floor joist with a 450mm distance from centre to centre.  140mm merbau will be used for decking.  Additionally, the deck will eventually be covered with roof in few months later.  I badly need a professional advice on this as I already purchase all the materials need in Bunnings.  Thank you very much and more power to you.Perspective Deck.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need professional advice for building low-level deck

Hi @Carlvin,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. We're certainly looking forward to seeing how you can create this fantastic looking deck. It seems you're off to a strong start.

Apologies for the delay, but one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will share their thoughts with your as soon as possible. Let me also see if some other experienced members can share their opinion on your plans: @JacobZ95@diy_hausdesigns@DIY4Knuckleheds.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building Low deck

Hi @Carlvin,

It sounds like you have had a good think about your plans, and there is nothing obvious that is jumping out at me that seems like an issue. I'd like to double-check your footer sizes. Would that be 300x300x150mm deep? If so, the depth must be increased to at least 350mm.

Our knowledgeable members would be more than happy to provide advice on your project. In order to assist them, could I request that you put a series of questions together so we can better understand your needs? 

Mitchell

JacobZ95
Building a Reputation

Hey @Carlvin,

As @MitchellMc has said, the footings should definitely be a bit deeper. Other than that it all looks pretty good.

Anything specific you need advice on?

Jacob

Thank you MitchellMc and Jacob,

Actually the only thing that bothers me is the clearance of the bearer from the ground which 50-200mm as I only have H3 treated pines. Thanks for the advice regarting the footing, I'll dig as much as I can to get 350mm, it's just that it seems like our backyard is made up 1 huge bluestone. Really appreciate your help.  Cheers!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Carlvin 

As long as the H3 is not touching the ground and you have that minimum 50mm clearance it should be fine. If your post is H4 treated, then it is ok for it to be in direct contact with the soil.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects