Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level deck stump assistance needed

phillawed
Just Starting Out

Low-level deck stump assistance needed

Deck design.PNG

Regarding stumps - How far in from the edge is normal or allowable?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low-level deck stump assistance needed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @phillawed. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about counter-levering a deck.

The allowed overhang or counter-lever is directly related to the length of the joist. Typically, you shouldn't counter-lever more than 300mm to be on the safe side.

On your deck plan, are you doing a joist over bearer construction? If this is a single-layer deck and these are joists, then your spacing is too large for decking to span. Decking can't span more than 450mm, so you need joists on 450mm centres across the deck's width, and their orientation will depend on the direction you wish to run the decking. You might be aware of this, but I just wanted to point it out to save you some grief later on in case you weren't.

Check out this helpful guide: How to build a low-level deck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Deck design 2.PNG

At this stage it is joists (across the page) over bearers (up and down).
In current plan joists would span bearers at 1420 centres. But If I exploit your advice and brought stump rows A and C in the max of 300mm these centres could be reduced to 1220mm?
Somewhere in between might be sweet spot.
Overall length of 8560 divided by 450 = 19 so 20 bearers.
I will redraw the diagram to reflect this.

Hi @phillawed,

What sized joists will you be using? If you were thinking 90 x 45mm, it would be best to try and keep the span closer to 1220mm. If you are using 90 x 45, ideally, an additional bearer should be added to the area to get the joist span to around 1000mm. If you're using 140 x 45mm joists, then a 1220mm span is fine.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects