Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Limestone wall ideas wanted

dj87
Just Starting Out

Limestone wall ideas wanted

Hi,

I am currently doing some backyard renovations and have a reconstituted limestone that has been previously painted running along my boundary. I have thought about rendering, repainting or trying to strip the paint off. I am open to ideas. I am aware the paint may have seaped into the limestone but it appears to be chipping off at certain areas.

Thank you for your assistance.

IMG-20230921-WA0013.jpeg

IMG20230917162750.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Limestone wall ideas

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dj87. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rejuvenating a masonry wall.

I would suggest that it's next to impossible to remove the paint from the porous surface. Unless you adamantly want to render I would recommend preparing the paint by removing any that is degraded and repainting. Grab a wire brush and scrub down the area where the paint is flaking. Remember to wear appropriate PPE including a face mask, safety glasses and gloves. Then, scrub the whole wall down with Sugar Soap and a stiff bristle brush. If you have a high-pressure washer, that could also assist in blasting off loose paint.

Once the area is prepared, apply a primer and a quality exterior paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects