Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Keeping gate open in rental

itsangus
Getting Established

Keeping gate open in rental

Hi All,

I'd like some help with a way I can keep this gate open that does not require making any permanent changes to the wall. It strangely opens toward inside where the stairs are. Naturally, I normally just wedge something in front of it but I'm looking for something easier where I won't have to. The texture of the wall (picture 2) is not receptive to command/3M hooks and neither is the weather here. I was thinking even an extendable ladder the wedges between the side and the open gate but that seems pretty ridiculous. I'm sure there is something else I can do. Would also be great for my neighbors who constantly hear the gate smash closed multiple times on the weekends when I don't have something heavy enough to wedge it open with haha.

Thank you in advance!

PXL_20221226_041515938.MP.jpgPXL_20221226_040217258.jpgPXL_20221226_040534203.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Keeping gate open in rental

Hi @itsangus   Merry Xmas

Could I recommend wedges underneath the gate on the top step?

I dont know the power of your gate spring so I  offer a three pack of wedges in case  one is not enough.

total  cost is $3,64 for this experimental solution.  The wedges are rated highly and should do the job with out adding gate  latch fitting on the wall.

Use the i/n number and staff can take you right to them

Bunnings Adoored Black Rubber Door Wedge - 3 Pack I/N: 3966437 $3.64

Wedges ? x 3Wedges ? x 3

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Keeping gate open in rental

Hi @itsangus,

@Jewelleryrescue's idea of using wedges sounds like a winner. It's a bit hard to tell from your images, but there appears to be enough room on that top step once the door is open to chock it with a wedge. If that doesn't sound like it will work, then you could use a Handi Homes 88 - 160cm Aluminium Extenda Rail to place between the top of the open door and the adjacent wall.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects