Workshop
Ask a question

Can you use joists made with composite material for a low-level deck?

makingitup
Just Starting Out

Can you use joists made with composite material for a low-level deck?

I am planning a low level deck. I understand concerns about rot if there is not enough clearance. Has anyone used joists made of composite material to alleviate this issue? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Joists in composite material

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @makingitup. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a deck.

I am unaware of any composite joist products. What sort of height are you working with? Many of our members have constructed decks within a low height. Provided ventilation is allowed on the sides of the deck and the boards are gapped slightly wider than normal, standard H3-treated Pine lasts a substantial amount of time.

Typically, composite materials have a large percentage of timber within them, so they have requirements similar to those of standard timbers. For instance, our composite decking boards have a minimum height above ground of 90mm without adequate drainage. So, using a composite material is not an automatic pass in damp conditions and your deck plan must still be carefully considered in order to see a significant lifespan.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects