Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is sugarcane mulch safe for pets?

Daniel_1980
Just Starting Out

Is sugarcane mulch safe for pets?

I’m curious to know if the sugarcane mulch is bird and pet safe, is it all natural does it contain chemicals or pesticides 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hey guys, does the sugarcane mulch have chemicals or pesticides is it pet safe

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Daniel_1980. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about our sugarcane mulch.

If we took, for example, the Oreco 26m² Sweet Garden Organic Sugar Cane Mulch, no chemicals or pesticides are added to the harvested sugarcane before packaging and distribution. However, those are used during the growing of the sugarcane before harvest, so although it is aged, there might be trace amounts left in the product. It's also manufactured as a product for garden mulch, not as a pet bedding material, so it can be a bit dusty. The manufacturer has heard of its use in chicken coops but not for other birds or animals.

As it's not a product designed for use with pets, it's hard for me to determine whether it's 'pet safe'.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects